Mossball and macroalgae help

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Mossball and macroalgae help

Post by Mustafa »

Depending on how much excess organic material was in your tank to begin with it can take a long time. The mossball should still be there somewhere between the rocks maybe. They are pretty tough. You can, of course, try to see if another clump of macroalgae may survive in your tank, maybe in a location with more shade. If you don't have too many nutrients and put the macroalgae right under a bright light, it may not far so well because it wants to grow fast due to the light, but doesn't have the nutrients to do so.
Oople
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Oople »

I’ll wait it out and cross my fingers that the mossball is ok, just out of sight. At least I know where I can get another - someday day after I get this hair algae under control.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Did the hair algae problem improve?
Oople
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Oople »

It was slower to grow back after pulling some of it out, but didn’t improve much. When I started my 3rd tank, I started pulling out some of the black aquarium gravel in my first tank with the hair algae problem, I noticed how much muck there was under the gravel. I ended up transferring all the shrimps to the other 2 tanks and completely cleaning out the original tank. I found some bits that looked like it could be macroalgae but no mossball. I’m not sure if I’ll re-start it yet.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...very strange that the mossball disappeared like that. By the way, over time there will always be "muck" in the gravel/substrate, which is not a bad thing at all. It will be processed by bacteria/fungi and the nutrients released from it will feed other bacteria/fungi/algae on which the shrimp feed. It's a nutrient cycle. There is absolutely no need to clean out a Supershrimp tank once in a while. Having said that, how are your tanks doing?