Feeding Discovery

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Feeding Discovery

Post by JoeG »

Well I fed them today, a half of a tiny pellet. Thought that if I made it into small pieces and placed it in the crystal salt dish that after 1 hour I would easily be able to remove anything not eaten. Well that didn't happen. Apparently these guys like to pick up and swim around with anything small enough for them to carry! It's funny but looking at the shrimp swimming it looks like most of the 30 have something in their mouths. Note: It only took about 30 minutes for all of the pellet pieces to be gone!

Some photos:
I circled one of the little thieves.  You can see another one on the back glass with his hands full making a get away.
I circled one of the little thieves. You can see another one on the back glass with his hands full making a get away.
:D

Another photo of them feeding/stealing the pieces of pellet.
Another photo of them feeding/stealing the pieces of pellet.

After all that there isn't anything to remove except for the empty salt dish. I'm assuming they were hungry. It made me happy to be able to give them a little something to eat. I will definitely wait a few weeks though before feeding them again.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Feeding Discovery

Post by Varanus »

Yup, some shrimp will eat where they find the food, but many will carry a piece around if they can, munching on it until they have had enough and then dropping it.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Hmmmmm....I might have to try this. I gave a whole tiny pellet and nobody came to it until like 45 mins later and they were fighting for it. One guy would chase the other away if they got too close to it. I removed it after a little over an hour.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

From what I've heard shrimp fresh and brackish don't need lots o' feeding.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

About a month ago I changed their diet from one shrimp pellet to one piece of flake food per week. It disappears very quick, usually within an hour. I was concerned that 1 pellet per week or so was a little too much. Although I didn't notice any increase in algae growth or detritus. Since feeding the one very small flake a week I've noticed an increase in size for the shrimp and also a lot of them (probably half) have saddles now! Not sure if it is a result of the feeding or just a matter of time. They have been with me for about four months now.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

I've read that if you you see any shrimp BERRIED you should stop feeding until all the larvae are free. If you feed, they will fight for the food, causing about 90% of the shrimp dropping the eggs/larvae before time.
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

JoanToBa wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 am I've read that if you you see any shrimp BERRIED you should stop feeding until all the larvae are free. If you feed, they will fight for the food, causing about 90% of the shrimp dropping the eggs/larvae before time.
Well since i just got my first berried shrimp i'll play it safe and not add any food. Haven't fed the tank in over 2 months.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

JoanToBa wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 am I've read that if you you see any shrimp BERRIED you should stop feeding until all the larvae are free. If you feed, they will fight for the food, causing about 90% of the shrimp dropping the eggs/larvae before time.
That's not true. But very imaginative.... :-D (shrimp fighting so hard that eggs get propelled out of them :lol: )