pearl shrimps, any special requirement? mine are dying

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shroitaka
Egg
Egg

pearl shrimps, any special requirement? mine are dying

Post by Shroitaka »

hi,
I started out with 5. I am now have 2. what do they eat? anything in particular that i need to know about?

thnx,
Jason
Shroitaka
Egg
Egg

one more thing........

Post by Shroitaka »

what do you guys feed your pearl shrimps?

jason
Polypterus
Larva
Larva

Post by Polypterus »

Hi !
I also got some white Pearl shrimp (Neocaridina) and some of the Nominat Form white Pearl is breedet from. They really do fine at 21 °C and 27 Litre tank each species.

Perhaps your one got ill at the store where you get them from. I also had been having some trouble with shrimps baught in store - they are often ill and starving. Better to get healthy and a bigger group from somebody breeding them.

Flori
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Flori, he means Macrobrachium cf. mirabile (Schneefloeckchengarnele) by "Pearl Shrimp." Pearl Shrimp is its "common name" in English.

The Pearl Shrimp eat normal flake food and pellets, but as Florian said already yous have most likely been sick since you bought them. Also, their water has to be in top shape. They don't like too much waste in the water.

The sickness of imported shrimp you buy in the store is a very common problem in the US and elsewhere. People just don't know what a sick shrimp looks like, so they buy them only to watch them die. That's, again, why it is so important to try to breed every shrimp you own and maybe exchange with others in the future. In Germany and Japan this works very well and there are many private breeders who can hook you up with all kinds of shrimp. Here in the US I am pretty much alone.

Once I find more time I will write an article on how to recognize sick shrimp. I have written about it several times in the forum, so if anyone is interested, he/she can do a search to find out instead of waiting for the article.

Mustafa
Polypterus
Larva
Larva

Post by Polypterus »

Hi !
Well as its M. cf. mirabile it's not easy to keep them, if not take perfect care for the water they not breed and starve. Last saturday I could get a group of 10 für 25 Euro - but as I know that it's a so sensibel species I decided to wait until have better equipment to give them the conditions they need.
So I took some Macrobrachium 'Borstenhand' :) have to see how they do, should be easy to breed, but they need to grow now.

Flori
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I have a Chance of purchasing a Few Pearl Shrimp.
This information will come in handy.

Thank You
John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great Newjohn, be sure to let us know how it goes :-D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Well, my chance of getting Pearl Shrimp will have to wait 2 more weeks.

If I ever get them in, I will post my experience.

John