Update on my morimo moss ball in brackish

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Update on my morimo moss ball in brackish

Post by Erlina _rusli »

My morimo is alive in brackish after 2 months over , its moving up and down everyday, when light is off the morimo is down to the bottom but when light on the morimo moss ball is going up again and when first early every morning i turn on the light its moving slowly and stops in the middle and slowly going up floating again with pearling bubbles on the morimo ball as if it is breathing.
So its been regularly doing this every day !
Anybody experience this with marimo in brackish water?
Attachments
IMG_20180129_133419.jpg
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Update on my morimo moss ball in brackish

Post by mike.d »

That's what happened to mine. I started with 4 in my tank. All pearled. One would float and sink daily. They stayed and appeared a healthy deep green.

I took them out at about the 2 month mark. I had hair algae growing in and around them and I was worried about the shrimp getting stuck. When I tried to pull out the algae the marimo came out too. I knew I wouldn't be able to clean the hair algae well enough to not have the same problem again later.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Interesting, I tried to keep a marimo in 1.014 SG and it ended up dying. I'm thinking on getting the salinity of my aquarium to about 1.008 SG or so and put some plants, it looks a bit sad and grey...
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Hi Joan. What kind of lighting do you have? I have an LED I bought from Amazon. It's a Nicrew LED white and blue. My water was 1.012 when I started. My guess is the growth had more to do with the light than the salinity.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

:cry: When I tried to put moss balls with my red cherrys they all died within 1 month.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

mike.d wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm Hi Joan. What kind of lighting do you have? I have an LED I bought from Amazon. It's a Nicrew LED white and blue. My water was 1.012 when I started. My guess is the growth had more to do with the light than the salinity.
I have a 7W 570 lumens led light in a 1.65 G/7 L aquarium with 1.008 SG/11 ppt water although in a month, I'll buy a 31L tank that will have the same light (I want to try keeping java fern, heard they need 10-20 lumens per liter)
ThisGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 pm :cry: When I tried to put moss balls with my red cherrys they all died within 1 month.
1. Did you put the cherries in brackish water?
2. Did you check the water parameters?
3. Are you sure it was the marimo's fault?
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

Well,no I only have freshwater aquariums.