Trimming Chaetomorph

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Trimming Chaetomorph

Post by SGTSHEW »

Anyone had one of these for an extended period of time? Do you have to trim them? My supershrimp will be here on Wednesday and would rather trim it before I put them in the tank. I bought mine from Mustafa and it was the size of a golfball, now it's at a size where me and my gf are afraid we will wake up one morning and have it attached to our face. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Chaeto present day
Chaeto present day
Chaeto day 1
Chaeto day 1
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Trimming Chaetomorph

Post by i<3Opae »

:mrgreen: You can break it to smaller pieces with a pair of tweezers, or just trim it to desired size with scissors.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Be aware though that any fragments that fall to the tank floor will likely grow into new masses of macroalgae. Depending on just how much light the tank gets from the rest of the room, moving the chaetomorph further away from the tank's own light could slow down its growth.
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Thank you for the responses. It has already shed twice and those new strands are starting to grow. So it keeps drawing itself underneath the aquarium light but my set up doesn’t get much natural light in its current location. Insterestingly enough the shrimp I put in on Wednesday are all over it, either eating it or eating other microorganisms on it. If I cut it will it harm it? Meaning if I cut some off I don’t want another section to die because of it. Thanks again for the help. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I already replied to your email of course, but I'll share it here too for others to benefit from it. The best way to decrease the size of your macroalgae mass is to just pull strings out of it until it's at the desired size. Done. :) Cutting it with scissors will just create a mess with pieces floating all over the tank.
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 pm I already replied to your email of course, but I'll share it here too for others to benefit from it. The best way to decrease the size of your macroalgae mass is to just pull strings out of it until it's at the desired size. Done. :) Cutting it with scissors will just create a mess with pieces floating all over the tank.
Thanks Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

No problem at all! :)