Is it hair algae in my micro algae or not?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Is it hair algae in my micro algae or not?

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hi all!
My micro algae has spread but some of it like too soft looks like hair algae that we do not want to be in the tank
Im.not really sure it is part of the micro algae baby hair growing or it is hair algae that we need to pull it out
Please see pics
Attachments
Some very soft hairs
Some very soft hairs
IMG-20180321-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20180321-WA0027.jpg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Is it hair algae in my micro algae or not?

Post by Super Jess »

I'm not sure, tbh. My chaeto is softer and finer than it used to be, so maybe yours is growing that way, too. One thing you could try is pull on a bit of the fine stuff and see if it's actually attached to any rocks or gravel. Chaeto is free-floating, but hair algae will have a death grip on your rocks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, you have hair algae. The third picture clearly shows the hair algae in your macroalgae (not "micro"). Just keep pulling out the hair algae to prevent it from taking over.

Also, hair algae can grow just as freely as the supershrimp macroalgae, it doesn't need to the attached to anything. There are many species out there after all.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:31 pm Also, hair algae can grow just as freely as the supershrimp macroalgae, it doesn't need to the attached to anything. There are many species out there after all.
This is really good to know! I guess mine will have to go now :(
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Im afraid to disturb the shrimp tank and the larvae or baby shrimp came with it ... Is there any other way to get rid of it?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:42 am Im afraid to disturb the shrimp tank and the larvae or baby shrimp came with it ... Is there any other way to get rid of it?
Some tweezers that are safe to use in the tank really shouldn't cause much of a disturbance. Then you just have to go slow and make sure no shrimp are in the algae before you take any out.