Flipper's Shrimp Journal

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Is it ready?

Post by SGTSHEW »

It’s a great book glad to share it!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Flippers wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:04 pm And do you have any experience on the accuracy of a fluval sea hydrometer or should I just not even worry about my salinity? (My snail is doing GREAT)
Remove that unsightly hydrometer and just don't worry about your salinity. :D And your tank looks more than ready by the way. You don't have to wait for green algae...any type of algae/diatom/biofilm growth will do...including brown. (most common colors or "algae growth" are green and brown anyway).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

SGTSHEW wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:12 am As far as chaetomorpha I believe the species is the same as you would find anywhere but Mustafa's is already acclimated to brackish water and I trust him.
Just to clarify, it's not the same species as the reef tank Chaetomorpha. The reef stuff looks and feels like your dish scrubbing pads and dies off after a while at low salinities (after hanging in there for a while like Java Fern or Java Moss). There are many species of Chaetomorpha out there and this one is special in that it can take very low salinities...not just survive, but actually thrive at those salinities as you can see. :)
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Mustafa will yours thrive in freshwater? I would love to use my trimmings in my other tanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unlikely, but you can give it a try. I have not done extensive experiments yet, but I did throw some pieces in my freshwater tanks before and they didn't make it in the long run. But they do survive and grow at very low salinities (about 1.004 SG).
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

SGTSHEW wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 pm It’s a great book glad to share it!
It arrived today!! Thank you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It looks awesome so far.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Flipper's Shrimp Journal

Post by Flippers »

My shrimp have shipped, my shrimp have shipped!!! 😍
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Hooray! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

When will they arrive? How far do they have to go? Congrats!
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Super Jess wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 pm Hooray! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

When will they arrive? How far do they have to go? Congrats!
2,401 miles !! :smt119 I'm confident that they will be fine :D
They are set to arrive on Wednesday :mrgreen: :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

I am SOOO excited!! This is my gift to myself for being halfway done with my degree :D :D :D :D
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

They'll be great! Mine went from San Diego to Vermont and they were packed really well. Never knew what hit 'em :) Looking forward to the Wednesday pics.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Super Jess wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 pm They'll be great! Mine went from San Diego to Vermont and they were packed really well. Never knew what hit 'em :) Looking forward to the Wednesday pics.
Awesome! I have to admit, I was a little nervous when I saw how far they have to travel... I'm so excited, though. They have left the San Diego Sorting Facility :lol: :lol:

Enjoy your trip, Shrimpies!! :smt006
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Super Jess wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 pm They'll be great! Mine went from San Diego to Vermont and they were packed really well. Never knew what hit 'em :) Looking forward to the Wednesday pics.
THEY'RE HERE!! How long should I let them float?
Attachments
IMG_2729.jpg
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Flippers wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:18 am
THEY'RE HERE!! How long should I let them float?
I just cut a little hole in the bag and let in some water, then I let them out....My mom got the package before I got home, so they'd already been acclimating to my room temperature for about an hour. Anyways, they are jumping and hopping around and they are SO cute!!!! Is the yarn like a toy for them? Can I leave it in my tank?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Hooray! I think Mustafa puts the yarn in just for shipping so they have something to hang on to. I would remove it, though. Congrats!
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Hi Flipper, Thank you for your help in my posts. Your green rock looks really good, I wish I can have one inthe end and catch up with your progress. Do you know the perfect salinity for supershrimps? I keep mine at between 1.008-1.01.

Mustafa said he will be adding my region soon, And I will post photos when I get my tank set up as well.