What did I do wrong

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kyle0901
Larva
Larva

What did I do wrong

Post by kyle0901 »

I feel helpless to watch them die today.

Tried to move all the shrimps to a bigger tank, same water, same salinity, shrimps died instantly touching new water, all of them. Tested water in the new tank, distilled water, same salinity as the old one, it was as if the water was toxic the shrimps can’t survive 1 sec in it.

Why do I move them around? They slowly die in my old tank, i had 15 one month ago, only 8 alive last week, they just alowly die, there is no algae growth in the tank, the sands in the bottom slowly turns to dark and brown, I panicked, thought if they all stay here they will all die in a matter of weeks but if I change them to a new environment at least they have fighting chances.

What did I do wrong, why is my algae not growing and covering the substrates? What can I do? I feel like I just murdered all of them.

My old tank salinity is around 1.08-1.10, had 2 snails (still alive and happy), shrimps barely swim and die slowly, any one? Please help me.
2A626832-381E-45A9-8755-5673517DEAA1.jpeg
AD36A175-1B15-4C82-ACF8-4E580068E07D.jpeg
0F2A105C-879B-450D-9843-6C1129254698.jpeg
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: What did I do wrong

Post by SGTSHEW »

What do you have in each tank? I see sea fans in the one but your primary tank looks like it has some live plants in it which at this point has not been widely successful to use with opas. You could get an API Saltwater test and see where your water levels are. The tank is cycled right? Usually brown algae is a sign of a tank not fully cycled. Or an overfed tank. Have you been feeding?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Maybe your plants were slowly dying and decomposing in the tank, while at the same time they have been sucking up all the nutrients needed for algae growth. Not sure why the opae would die instantly in the new tank; maybe they were already so stressed that they couldn't withstand the added stress of moving.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 am I feel helpless to watch them die today.

Tried to move all the shrimps to a bigger tank, same water, same salinity, shrimps died instantly touching new water, all of them. Tested water in the new tank, distilled water, same salinity as the old one, it was as if the water was toxic the shrimps can’t survive 1 sec in it.

Why do I move them around? They slowly die in my old tank, i had 15 one month ago, only 8 alive last week, they just alowly die, there is no algae growth in the tank, the sands in the bottom slowly turns to dark and brown, I panicked, thought if they all stay here they will all die in a matter of weeks but if I change them to a new environment at least they have fighting chances.

What did I do wrong, why is my algae not growing and covering the substrates? What can I do? I feel like I just murdered all of them.

My old tank salinity is around 1.08-1.10, had 2 snails (still alive and happy), shrimps barely swim and die slowly, any one? Please help me.

2A626832-381E-45A9-8755-5673517DEAA1.jpeg
AD36A175-1B15-4C82-ACF8-4E580068E07D.jpeg
0F2A105C-879B-450D-9843-6C1129254698.jpeg

I think that it's probably the plants decomposing, as others have said. Try a bare tank... Just use a substrate with calcium and slowly acclimate them. Think of it as a "hospital tank" until they are all better. Then you can slowly add macroalgae.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

SGTSHEW wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am What do you have in each tank? I see sea fans in the one but your primary tank looks like it has some live plants in it which at this point has not been widely successful to use with opas. You could get an API Saltwater test and see where your water levels are. The tank is cycled right? Usually brown algae is a sign of a tank not fully cycled. Or an overfed tank. Have you been feeding?
Yes, I guess you are right, those plants in my primary tank are fresh water algae alternatives, it's not that I didn't know before, I used them because I have no other choices, I live in Hong Kong, and all local vendors have to offer are these things. My water salinity is 1.08-1.10, both tanks, Is this right? I guess my tank was not cycled, I see no algae growth on the bottom after one month, I think this is the main thing, how to I get it cycled. I have been feeding the shrimps minimum amount of spirulina flakes, but only once every 2 weeks. They seem OK, and my snails are alive, I bought them to clean the algae, but I never thought there were not algae for them to clean at all, but they still live and I am not sure what they are eating everyday.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Super Jess wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 am Maybe your plants were slowly dying and decomposing in the tank, while at the same time they have been sucking up all the nutrients needed for algae growth. Not sure why the opae would die instantly in the new tank; maybe they were already so stressed that they couldn't withstand the added stress of moving.
I guess plants are dying, they were fresh water plants in the first place, and they have not been growing a bit ever seen I put them in, but they don't seem to apparently die either so I guess I'd keep them there just for the snails.

And I am shocked to see shrimps die instantly getting into new tank, normally if there is a problem with water, they could at least swim a few minutes, this time they sank right down to the bottom painfully, I really have no idea as of this moment.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Flippers wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:16 am
I think that it's probably the plants decomposing, as others have said. Try a bare tank... Just use a substrate with calcium and slowly acclimate them. Think of it as a "hospital tank" until they are all better. Then you can slowly add macroalgae.
Currently I keep the remaining shrimps in my primary tank, removed all plants, see fan, shell, and a piece of volcanic rock, only substrates left. Shrimps seem fine by now, and two snails still move around on the glass searching for food, what should be my next move?
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:09 pm
Currently I keep the remaining shrimps in my primary tank, removed all plants, see fan, shell, and a piece of volcanic rock, only substrates left. Shrimps seem fine by now, and two snails still move around on the glass searching for food, what should be my next move?

I’m glad that they seem fine now!! That’s a great sign. Is your water 100% distilled or RO?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I'd say if they seem fine then leave them alone. Good to hear you removed the plants. They do seem to cause more problems than anything else.

If everything seems fine after a week and you are missing the greenery, order some of Mustafa's chaeto.

Opae ula are the poster children for the virtues of benevolent neglect :P
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

First thing you need to do is stop feeding. Second you did good by removing all those live plants. It's just my opinion that macroalgae (only the studd Mustafa on this site sells) is the only type of plant you want. I have 50+ opas in my tank and they are doing great with just brackish snails and macro algae. Nano tanks especially are very easy to throw out of balance by introducing biological matter (feeding) that frequently on top of that a tank that hasn't been cycled. Are those nerite snails? If so those things have voracious appetites and can clean tanks perhaps too well. I use a combination of tarebia granifera and melanoides tuberculata which are brackish water snails that Mustafa sells. They will keep the algae from getting out of hand but still leave plenty for the shrimp to graze on. I'm no expert but I would check your water for ammonia. If you had stuff in there decaying in a tank that small you can easily get a lethal level of ammonia. Mustafa also sells macroalgae that feeds off of nurtrients in the water and can help in "cleaning" tank water. The macroalgae I have has grown like crazy and even reproduced several times. Maybe some of the more experienced keepers can weigh in on what to do now but if your water has ammonia in it then you will need to do a complete water change but then your ammonia will spike again as the tank cycles. Maybe a partial water change will do the trick. Then again maybe just leaving it alone is the right answer. Again I'm very new at this as well but my set up works after listening to others on here who have more experience than me.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Can u walk us through your tank setup? Did you cycle either tank? Were the original tank’s water bought from the store? What kind of salt did you use to set up the 2nd tank? There are a lot of missing information to be able to make an educated guess...
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Flippers wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:11 pm
kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I’m glad that they seem fine now!! That’s a great sign. Is your water 100% distilled or RO?
yes it is, I bought a gallon from local supermarket, it says distilled water on the label. I used this water all the time for the shrimps.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

SGTSHEW wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:37 pm First thing you need to do is stop feeding. Second you did good by removing all those live plants. It's just my opinion that macroalgae (only the studd Mustafa on this site sells) is the only type of plant you want. I have 50+ opas in my tank and they are doing great with just brackish snails and macro algae. Nano tanks especially are very easy to throw out of balance by introducing biological matter (feeding) that frequently on top of that a tank that hasn't been cycled. Are those nerite snails? If so those things have voracious appetites and can clean tanks perhaps too well. I use a combination of tarebia granifera and melanoides tuberculata which are brackish water snails that Mustafa sells. They will keep the algae from getting out of hand but still leave plenty for the shrimp to graze on. I'm no expert but I would check your water for ammonia. If you had stuff in there decaying in a tank that small you can easily get a lethal level of ammonia. Mustafa also sells macroalgae that feeds off of nurtrients in the water and can help in "cleaning" tank water. The macroalgae I have has grown like crazy and even reproduced several times. Maybe some of the more experienced keepers can weigh in on what to do now but if your water has ammonia in it then you will need to do a complete water change but then your ammonia will spike again as the tank cycles. Maybe a partial water change will do the trick. Then again maybe just leaving it alone is the right answer. Again I'm very new at this as well but my set up works after listening to others on here who have more experience than me.
I knew my plants have problems but I didn't realize it was that serious. But I don't really have much choices since I live in Hong Kong and all I can find here that I think are the best are all in my tank already. Do you know how hard I tried to purchase this Mustafa algae? It sadly doesn't ship to my region.
So what exactly do you mean by a cycled tank, what are the signs of a tank being properly cycled? I guess mine wasn't. And how do I test ammonia level? what is the safe level? just let me know and I'll do it, I'll do everything to keep them alive, regardless the cost.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

i<3Opae wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:21 pm Can u walk us through your tank setup? Did you cycle either tank? Were the original tank’s water bought from the store? What kind of salt did you use to set up the 2nd tank? There are a lot of missing information to be able to make an educated guess...
I started out by purchasing a big water jar from IKEA, white sands and marine stuff from local aquarium vendors. All properly washed with distilled water. Bought marine salt to adjust the water salinity to 1.08-1.10. Fresh water algae (the only thing I can get back then, I was a total newbie so I thought It would not be a big problem anyway), some moss balls and 2 snails. I have attached some pictures below. and then I ordered shrimps to put in my tank. They looked OK for the first week, but they rarely swim, always stay transparent and not very active, but alive nevertheless. They started dying after that, 1-2 shrimps per week, snails are OK. So I decided to move them to a new tank without all these plants. And then the tragic happens.

from my photos you can see: 1.the snail type (I don't know exactly their names, i just purchased them from local vendor), 2. my substrates turning dark and brown, full of death) and 3. the current state of my tank and surviving shrimps on the bottom.
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2042.jpg
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 pm
SGTSHEW wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:37 pm First thing you need to do is stop feeding. Second you did good by removing all those live plants. It's just my opinion that macroalgae (only the studd Mustafa on this site sells) is the only type of plant you want. I have 50+ opas in my tank and they are doing great with just brackish snails and macro algae. Nano tanks especially are very easy to throw out of balance by introducing biological matter (feeding) that frequently on top of that a tank that hasn't been cycled. Are those nerite snails? If so those things have voracious appetites and can clean tanks perhaps too well. I use a combination of tarebia granifera and melanoides tuberculata which are brackish water snails that Mustafa sells. They will keep the algae from getting out of hand but still leave plenty for the shrimp to graze on. I'm no expert but I would check your water for ammonia. If you had stuff in there decaying in a tank that small you can easily get a lethal level of ammonia. Mustafa also sells macroalgae that feeds off of nurtrients in the water and can help in "cleaning" tank water. The macroalgae I have has grown like crazy and even reproduced several times. Maybe some of the more experienced keepers can weigh in on what to do now but if your water has ammonia in it then you will need to do a complete water change but then your ammonia will spike again as the tank cycles. Maybe a partial water change will do the trick. Then again maybe just leaving it alone is the right answer. Again I'm very new at this as well but my set up works after listening to others on here who have more experience than me.

I knew my plants have problems but I didn't realize it was that serious. But I don't really have much choices since I live in Hong Kong and all I can find here that I think are the best are all in my tank already. Do you know how hard I tried to purchase this Mustafa algae? It sadly doesn't ship to my region.
So what exactly do you mean by a cycled tank, what are the signs of a tank being properly cycled? I guess mine wasn't. And how do I test ammonia level? what is the safe level? just let me know and I'll do it, I'll do everything to keep them alive, regardless the cost.

Mustafa said that shipping to Hong Kong shouldn't be a problem. If you can't receive packages from the United States, I believe that the closest thing to Mustafa's chaeto is chaetomorpha linum. Do you have a pet store near you?

You can check ammonia levels with a kit. API sells a nice and easy liquid test. If you have access to amazon, you can get an ammonia kit.
Mustafa wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 pm Just contact me. Delivery to Hong Kong is not a problem. As for the scientific name....no idea. It's a Chaetomorpha sp. but which one I really don't know. I basically discovered it, so you won't just find this type in stores. What you'll find is the one sold for reef tanks which requires higher salinity in the long run and just dies off after a while in Supershrimp tanks.