What did I do wrong

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Re: What did I do wrong

Post by kyle0901 »

Flippers wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 pm
kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 pm
SGTSHEW wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:37 pm First thing you need to do is stop feeding. Second you did good by removing all those live plants. It's just my opinion that macroalgae (only the studd Mustafa on this site sells) is the only type of plant you want. I have 50+ opas in my tank and they are doing great with just brackish snails and macro algae. Nano tanks especially are very easy to throw out of balance by introducing biological matter (feeding) that frequently on top of that a tank that hasn't been cycled. Are those nerite snails? If so those things have voracious appetites and can clean tanks perhaps too well. I use a combination of tarebia granifera and melanoides tuberculata which are brackish water snails that Mustafa sells. They will keep the algae from getting out of hand but still leave plenty for the shrimp to graze on. I'm no expert but I would check your water for ammonia. If you had stuff in there decaying in a tank that small you can easily get a lethal level of ammonia. Mustafa also sells macroalgae that feeds off of nurtrients in the water and can help in "cleaning" tank water. The macroalgae I have has grown like crazy and even reproduced several times. Maybe some of the more experienced keepers can weigh in on what to do now but if your water has ammonia in it then you will need to do a complete water change but then your ammonia will spike again as the tank cycles. Maybe a partial water change will do the trick. Then again maybe just leaving it alone is the right answer. Again I'm very new at this as well but my set up works after listening to others on here who have more experience than me.

I knew my plants have problems but I didn't realize it was that serious. But I don't really have much choices since I live in Hong Kong and all I can find here that I think are the best are all in my tank already. Do you know how hard I tried to purchase this Mustafa algae? It sadly doesn't ship to my region.
So what exactly do you mean by a cycled tank, what are the signs of a tank being properly cycled? I guess mine wasn't. And how do I test ammonia level? what is the safe level? just let me know and I'll do it, I'll do everything to keep them alive, regardless the cost.

Mustafa said that shipping to Hong Kong shouldn't be a problem. If you can't receive packages from the United States, I believe that the closest thing to Mustafa's chaeto is chaetomorpha linum. Do you have a pet store near you?

You can check ammonia levels with a kit. API sells a nice and easy liquid test. If you have access to amazon, you can get an ammonia kit.
Mustafa wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 pm Just contact me. Delivery to Hong Kong is not a problem. As for the scientific name....no idea. It's a Chaetomorpha sp. but which one I really don't know. I basically discovered it, so you won't just find this type in stores. What you'll find is the one sold for reef tanks which requires higher salinity in the long run and just dies off after a while in Supershrimp tanks.
Yes, I already PMed Mustafa, and haven't got a response yet. I am not sure if Hong Kong has some custom control regulations on living animals or plants, which could be the primary reason the store doesn't have a destination for Hong Kong yet, but I hope not. I will get some ammonia kit ASAP, but in the meantime? should I just wait?
I will also check for this chaetomorpha linum you mentioned, thank you. Can you tell me more about this tank cycling thing?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

"Cycling" the tank refers to allowing time for the nitrogen cycle to establish itself.

The nitrogen cycle is how waste products (biomatter) are broken down and converted from harmful (deadly) ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate which is less harmful to the shrimp. It's nature's waste management system! It can take about 2-6 weeks for a new tank to grow enough beneficial bacteria and microalgae to establish this balance.

For best, safest results you would set up your tank and let it sit without occupants for several weeks until you observe algae growing on the surfaces inside. After you see the algae it's safe to add shrimp. Algae is the visible sign that your cycle is established.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Super Jess wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm "Cycling" the tank refers to allowing time for the nitrogen cycle to establish itself.

The nitrogen cycle is how waste products (biomatter) are broken down and converted from harmful (deadly) ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate which is less harmful to the shrimp. It's nature's waste management system! It can take about 2-6 weeks for a new tank to grow enough beneficial bacteria and microalgae to establish this balance.

For best, safest results you would set up your tank and let it sit without occupants for several weeks until you observe algae growing on the surfaces inside. After you see the algae it's safe to add shrimp. Algae is the visible sign that your cycle is established.
Thank you so much! I guess my tank didn't have it judging by your description, it all comes down to getting the right algae I guess...
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

You're welcome. Just waiting for the algae to grow is the hardest part :lol: It's not something you need to add; it will just appear seemingly out of nowhere. I'm not sure about your snails though, they may be eating it all up. Two snails of their size in a small habitat might be overkill.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Did you use "live sand"? If so, that's part of your problem and it would explain why the "brown" stuff grows in your substrate. Too much organic waste. The other problem were the freshwater plants, which you now took out (good!). Also, did you use actual "reef salt" made for marine aquariums or "sea salt" that you buy for human consumption? Sea salt for human consumption will kill these shrimp. In any case, now that you took out those plants the dying should stop as long as you haven't use "live sand". Also, you have way too many nerite snails there...in my opinion even one is too much, especially in such a small tank. Those snails won't give the surface algae a chance to grow anywhere they an reach. If you actually have reef salt (and your sand isn't the "live sand" type) go ahead and do a 80-90% water change with newly made brackish water. Then leave the tank alone. No feeding, no nothing. Just let it sit there.

I wouldn't buy any more shrimp until your tank has stabilized and the dying stops.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Mustafa wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 pm Did you use "live sand"? If so, that's part of your problem and it would explain why the "brown" stuff grows in your substrate. Too much organic waste. The other problem were the freshwater plants, which you now took out (good!). Also, did you use actual "reef salt" made for marine aquariums or "sea salt" that you buy for human consumption? Sea salt for human consumption will kill these shrimp. In any case, now that you took out those plants the dying should stop as long as you haven't use "live sand". Also, you have way too many nerite snails there...in my opinion even one is too much, especially in such a small tank. Those snails won't give the surface algae a chance to grow anywhere they an reach. If you actually have reef salt (and your sand isn't the "live sand" type) go ahead and do a 80-90% water change with newly made brackish water. Then leave the tank alone. No feeding, no nothing. Just let it sit there.

I wouldn't buy any more shrimp until your tank has stabilized and the dying stops.
Hi Mustafa, My sands are not live sand, and I use actual reef salt I purchased from aquarium store, I will remove one snail too if you say so. Right now I wish to get my tank cycle going so I really need some of your algae, can you give me some instruction on buying from Hong Kong, I also sent you private messages, thanks so much.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Between Super Jess and Mustafa, they said everything I could’ve said, and only better. Your tank probably had too much ammonia (due to the food, the live plants, the snails). Although what happened to the second tank seemed more like the wrong type of salt was used or maybe chemical got in there - because ammonia poisoning doesn’t usually result in what you described. I just wanna add, it seems that clarification is needed on the “algae” that appears during cycling. It’s not the macro algae or moss ball that’s in Mustafa store. The algae that signals you have a cycled tank is a product of your cycling process. They can be visible or invisible, residing on various surfaces of your tank (tank wall, decor, substrate etc). I know you wish to speed things up, but you can’t just buy those beneficial algae, unless you’re buying an entire cycled tank. There might be consfusion whereby adding Mustafa’s macro algae or moss ball or snails speed up the cycling process, because you still have to wait for the tank to cycle on its own. Your tank just needs time.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

i<3Opae wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 am Between Super Jess and Mustafa, they said everything I could’ve said, and only better. Your tank probably had too much ammonia (due to the food, the live plants, the snails). Although what happened to the second tank seemed more like the wrong type of salt was used or maybe chemical got in there - because ammonia poisoning doesn’t usually result in what you described. I just wanna add, it seems that clarification is needed on the “algae” that appears during cycling. It’s not the macro algae or moss ball that’s in Mustafa store. The algae that signals you have a cycled tank is a product of your cycling process. They can be visible or invisible, residing on various surfaces of your tank (tank wall, decor, substrate etc). I know you wish to speed things up, but you can’t just buy those beneficial algae, unless you’re buying an entire cycled tank. There might be consfusion whereby adding Mustafa’s macro algae or moss ball or snails speed up the cycling process, because you still have to wait for the tank to cycle on its own. Your tank just needs time.
Thank you, I have attached a photo of the salt pack I used all along. I think you know what I am talking about precisely, I am looking for that algae that grows to cover the substrates and indicates that everything is ready. Now I knew it can't be bought, only shows up when a successful cycle is up and running. My strategy now is to keep the shrimps in primary tank for now, and build a second tank with Mustafa algae, if the second tank shows signs of cycling, I will move the boys into it, but before that, I'll keep trying to make it work.
IMG_1775.JPG
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:46 pm
kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 pm

I knew my plants have problems but I didn't realize it was that serious. But I don't really have much choices since I live in Hong Kong and all I can find here that I think are the best are all in my tank already. Do you know how hard I tried to purchase this Mustafa algae? It sadly doesn't ship to my region.
So what exactly do you mean by a cycled tank, what are the signs of a tank being properly cycled? I guess mine wasn't. And how do I test ammonia level? what is the safe level? just let me know and I'll do it, I'll do everything to keep them alive, regardless the cost.

Mustafa said that shipping to Hong Kong shouldn't be a problem. If you can't receive packages from the United States, I believe that the closest thing to Mustafa's chaeto is chaetomorpha linum. Do you have a pet store near you?

You can check ammonia levels with a kit. API sells a nice and easy liquid test. If you have access to amazon, you can get an ammonia kit.
Mustafa wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 pm Just contact me. Delivery to Hong Kong is not a problem. As for the scientific name....no idea. It's a Chaetomorpha sp. but which one I really don't know. I basically discovered it, so you won't just find this type in stores. What you'll find is the one sold for reef tanks which requires higher salinity in the long run and just dies off after a while in Supershrimp tanks.
Yes, I already PMed Mustafa, and haven't got a response yet. I am not sure if Hong Kong has some custom control regulations on living animals or plants, which could be the primary reason the store doesn't have a destination for Hong Kong yet, but I hope not. I will get some ammonia kit ASAP, but in the meantime? should I just wait?
I will also check for this chaetomorpha linum you mentioned, thank you. Can you tell me more about this tank cycling thing?
Okay. As others said, you don't need to add algae... I haven't yet introduced my chaeto and my rocks are green. Just leave your tank by sunlight and algae will grow.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Flippers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:21 am

Okay. As others said, you don't need to add algae... I haven't yet introduced my chaeto and my rocks are green. Just leave your tank by sunlight and algae will grow.
I don’t understand, will the algae just grow out of nothing but rocks and sands? But where does it come from? Please allow my ignorance, I am pretty much a newbie, thanks.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

kyle0901 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 am

I don’t understand, will the algae just grow out of nothing but rocks and sands? But where does it come from? Please allow my ignorance, I am pretty much a newbie, thanks.
No problem, I'm also new!! I just have a little advantage since I have 10 aquariums with fish, too :wink:
Algae grows from carbon dioxide, inorganic nutrients, and sunlight. So, in short, yes, it grows out of "nothing".
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Flippers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 am
kyle0901 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 am

No problem, I'm also new!! I just have a little advantage since I have 10 aquariums with fish, too :wink:
Algae grows from carbon dioxide, inorganic nutrients, and sunlight. So, in short, yes, it grows out of "nothing".
Thanks so much for this input! I guess I will wait to see if algae can now grow out of my tank now that all wrong plants had been removed. One more thing, do you have any suggestions for where to put my snails? Since they probably eat faster than algae can grow but I definitely couldn’t kill them or throw the poor things away. A life is a life you know.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Flippers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 amAlgae grows from carbon dioxide, inorganic nutrients, and sunlight. So, in short, yes, it grows out of "nothing".
Actually its my understanding that they come from algae spores that float around pretty much everywhere, growing when they land in a good environment. It just looks like algae grows out of nothing because the spores are microscopic.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Varanus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:10 am
Flippers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 amAlgae grows from carbon dioxide, inorganic nutrients, and sunlight. So, in short, yes, it grows out of "nothing".
Actually its my understanding that they come from algae spores that float around pretty much everywhere, growing when they land in a good environment. It just looks like algae grows out of nothing because the spores are microscopic.
Yeah, the spores are always in water, etc but they need the above to grow. You’re right 😉
Kind of like mold
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

kyle0901 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 am One more thing, do you have any suggestions for where to put my snails?
I would return them to your local fish shop so they can continue to live a happy, well-fed life :)