Substrate? Tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

DavidZ
Egg
Egg

Substrate? Tank?

Post by DavidZ »

So I found a fluval plant and shrimp stratum online, and its volcanic soil,so I was wondering if it is safe for opae ula, as well as the snails this site sells, and if it is any better than some other substrate?
second question:Its hard for me to find a cheap tank on amazon, because I am looking for a small one, maximum 2 gallons, preferably 1 or 1.5, would I have any luck at petco? Are there any tanks that wouldn't work for brackish water (stupid question, I know)? And should I go for glass or something else? Where can I find the limestone rocks, as well as testing kits? Thank you! :D
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Substrate? Tank?

Post by Super Jess »

I would skip the Fluval stuff and use sand, gravel, or aragonite. The Fluval product is intended for a planted tank with freshwater shrimp. It will break down and turn muddy after a while, and may lower your water's pH. Opae ula prefer slightly alkaline water, so you're better off using one of the soilless substrates listed above and buffering with some form of calcium carbonate. Limestone rocks (sometimes sold as "holey rock", coral skeletons, clean seashells, and even eggshell will work. Check your local fish shop or order online. If you use aragonite as your substrate it will provide all the buffering you need and you won't have to add an additional source.

For tanks, pretty much any container will work. I prefer glass for better optics, but there are also some nice small acrylic tank options available (even at Petco). Choose a container that is relatively easy to reach into and can be covered.

You can also skip the testing kits. If you follow the instructions on this site you will be successful.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Substrate? Tank?

Post by crittersni »

20180504_114244.jpg
I went to Home Goods, Marshall's, Ross, etc., looking for a pretty-shaped vase. I found a large one, and bought another one that came with a cover that fits the one I liked.

I threw out all the cheap aquarium supplies from the 99c store, as they seemed to have leached into the water and may be all or part of the reason I lost a bunch of shrimp .

I bought new from PetSmart and cleaned them well.

I cycled the tank for sbout 3 weeks snd then put in my surviving 4 shrimp. 2 weeks later they were doing well, so I bought more from Moustafa (February). I now have 3 berried shrimp and several saddled shrimp.
20180228_200216.jpg