Opae ula reproductive anatomy

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Opae ula reproductive anatomy

Post by Super Jess »

Hey guys, I see the eggs developing inside my shrimp and I see the eggs outside on berried shrimp as they carry them around attached under the swimmerets. How do they get there? Where do the eggs come out of?
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Opae ula reproductive anatomy

Post by MrsT »

Hi Super Jess,
Read the Developing eggs part
http://www.fukubonsai.com/M-L5b2.html

My simple explanation is after she shed her skin and mating successfully carried out, she will then find a hiding place where she would repeatedly arching her body and those eggs on her carapace will be transfer down slowly to her swimmerets internally.

I failed to record video on this process because I can't find her hiding place. The process is similar to other freshwater shrimp. You can easily search YouTube on how cherry shrimp.transfer/develope her eggs on her swimmerets.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Thanks for the link. I didn't know there is an opening between the shrimp's legs! Mystery solved :-D
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Super Jess wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am Thanks for the link. I didn't know there is an opening between the shrimp's legs! Mystery solved
You are most welcome and you have asked a very good question actually. Believe me, I am as curious as you lol
:-D