New and Need Suggestions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LibbyLoo
Egg
Egg

New and Need Suggestions

Post by LibbyLoo »

So I've been thinking about setting up a tank for a long time and I'm about to move in a month so now's my chance. I've got an old 10-gallon that I'm planning on using, but it was part of one of those kits and has a flat hood that only has two small LEDs. I'm not sure that that's enough for Opae Ula, not to mention I'm planning on adding in a couple of plants.

I know the general consensus here is no plants, but I've been doing research into plants that grow in brackish water, estuaries and other such places. Not just random online articles - though I have been using them to help me narrow my search - but local aquarium shops, government and scientific sites as well.

But in regards to the flat hood do you think I need something bigger for my future babies? Should I get a new hood or do you know a good alternative? Sunshine isn't a very good option because I live in Florida and the Florida sun cooks people, I can only imagine what it would do to my shrimp.

Thanks for any help!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: New and Need Suggestions

Post by Varanus »

As long as the lights are strong enough to fuel good algae growth that's all the supershrimp need (and algae, as any aquarium keeper knows, doesn't need that much light). If anything lighting concerns would apply more to the plants you plan to add, since they may have more specialized requirements.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New and Need Suggestions

Post by mike.d »

I had a 10-gallon kit from Petco/PetSmart. I used it for a planted freshwater shrimp tank until the hood lights burned out. I replaced the hood with a piece of clear 1/8" acrylic from Lowes or Home Depot (don't remember). Then I got a "NICREW ClassicLED aquarium light" 20 inch from Amazon. It's perfect for Opae. I'm not doing plants though.

In my opinion, the nice thing about opae is the no maintenance. Adding plants removes that. They grow too fast, too wild, or die and need to be removed. Been there, done that with freshwater planted. It's not for me.

I'd love to see any pictures you want to post. I do like the look of a planted tank, just not the maintenance.

Here's a link to a topic with a picture of my 10g and the light.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6067&p=40727#p40727