Berried opa caught in chaeto and died

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Berried opa caught in chaeto and died

Post by SGTSHEW »

Have any of of you ever had any of your berried shrimp get caught in the chaeto and die? Came home to one of my berried females today bright red and down in the chaetomorpha not moving. I knew it didn’t look normal so I investigated with my long tweezers and sure enough she was dead. Her eggs came off and she just sank to the bottom lifeless. Any ideas as to why she died?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Berried opa caught in chaeto and died

Post by Varanus »

Never seen any of my adult shrimp die yet. Are you sure she was actually tangled up? If nothing happens to other shrimps I would just call it a fluke event.
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

The other shrimp seem fine and I'm not sure she was tangled but she was deep down in it. She turned bright red. I was thinking she stressed herself out trying to keep her eggs together in the chaeto.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Yup, in the past, I have had one of my male oppa trapped in Cheato and gone just like that. I asked my seller he said he encountered his several times too.
So yeah, cheato should be keep under control especially when they are full of hair algae growing in them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp don't get usually entangled in the macroalgae (cheato). But lots of people have hair algae growing in it so that could be a factor. But your shrimp may have already been dead when it ended up in the macroalgae.