Mossball floating?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Kcirrem
Egg
Egg

Mossball floating?

Post by Kcirrem »

Hi all,

I purchased a mossball from Mustafa and I noticed after the first day that the ball would float to the top of the aquarium. I gently squeezed any air bubbles out of the mossball and let it float back to the bottom, but it eventually floats back up to the top, even 2 weeks later.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice for me? Thanks!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Mossball floating?

Post by Nellyville41 »

Yes. It’s normal. All of the air bubbles are coming out from your tank.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

It's photosynthesizing!
CrimsonThornX
Egg
Egg

Post by CrimsonThornX »

I remember having the same issue with marimo moss balls. I'd assume it's just air trapped deeper within it, in the end I decided to bury them halfway into the gravel and placed a stone ontop of them in an attempt to weigh them down.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

CrimsonNoacier wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:22 pm I remember having the same issue with marimo moss balls. I'd assume it's just air trapped deeper within it, in the end I decided to bury them halfway into the gravel and placed a stone ontop of them in an attempt to weigh them down.
Don't bury them, they may rot in the substrate. Just squeeze them and release them and they will sink back down. The squeezing will release micro air bubbles that form from photosynthesis. Some balls float and others never float.