I did not think these shrimp were cannibals...

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Camaroncito
Egg
Egg

I did not think these shrimp were cannibals...

Post by Camaroncito »

Saw something a bit disconcerting today. One of my smallest (and reddest) little guys must have died or was hurt by some of the others and I saw two larger ones with portions of the poor shrimp - one with the head and the other with the tail - carrying the pieces with them and chomping away. I tried to take a picture this morning when I discovered this, but they both slipped under the central rock in the tank. Has anyone else ever seen this? All my babies seem fine (I must have 30+) now and still have at least two berried females. I know they eat their molted skins, but this was not something I expected at all. :|
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: I did not think these shrimp were cannibals...

Post by Nellyville41 »

Yeah. If one of them dies, they’ll clean it up. Sad to hear about your other shrimp
skylorvivo88
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by skylorvivo88 »

That's sad :( sorry that happened
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Yup, as far as I know they won't harm anything bigger than microscopic if its alive, but once something is dead its fair game. Gotta take advantage of available resources, plus it helps keep their environment clean.
CrimsonThornX
Egg
Egg

Post by CrimsonThornX »

I hope your other shrimp are doing good, wouldn't want that to occur again :(