Snail Calcium Question

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Snail Calcium Question

Post by Kval1015 »

Snail Question:
I use an Aragonite gravel substrate in a 1 gallon tank. Would this provide enough calcium in the tank for both the shrimp and snails?

I just purchased cuttlebone to add to the tank in the event it may need something additional. Should this be added as a larger piece and dug into the substrate or should it be hammered down to a powder and added almost like food sprinkled into the top of the tank?

Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Snail Calcium Question

Post by Varanus »

The aragonite is pretty much pure calcium, you shouldn't need to add anything else. Remember the snails and shrimp are tiny and so they don't need much.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Thank Varanus!

Is that an OK substrate to use or could it be overkill with calcium?

I have a portion of the substrate covered with glass marbles (we discussed in another thread) but I don't see them picking much at the substrate much. New tank additions and snails have been very active and have turned bright red (with the exception of one who is remaining a lighter yellow/orange color).

They seem pretty happy and very active, just being a worried shrimp mom I guess :-)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

My understanding is that basically the calcium dissolves until it reaches an equilibrium with the brackish water, and said equilibrium is not too high for the shrimps and snails. Since you won't be removing calcium via water changes, it also means that you'll probably never have to add more calcium either.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Ahh yes, equilibrium. I was a chemical engineering / chemistry major in college.

That makes sense. I thought it was something that the shrimp and snails needed to feast on, it makes sense that it is more so dissolved in the water for them. Thank you again for your prompt response on this!
skylorvivo88
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by skylorvivo88 »

Should be totally fine