Algae Growing on Shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

wolfinthefold
Egg
Egg

Algae Growing on Shrimp

Post by wolfinthefold »

Not sure if this requires an intervention, but yesterday I noticed algae growing directly on 3 of my 18 shrimps. One has algae on its swimmerets (It almost looks like green eggs until you examine it more closely) and another has algae at the end of its antennae, almost as if the algae were an extension of the antennae.
In the six or so months I've had them, I've offered food, but they've always refused.
I like the appearance of the algae in my tank, but I recently reduced the 5000K light, which sits less than an inch from the surface, from 12 to 10 hours to keep new growth at a minimum.
20180910_195818.jpg
Is what I'm seeing at all normal?
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Algae Growing on Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

You should probably be fine but you’re clearly over feeding them if they refuse. I’ve gone a few months without giving them anything. They survive off the biofilm and algae and whatever else is growing in there.
wolfeinthefold
Egg
Egg

Post by wolfeinthefold »

Actually, I've only offered them food two or three times since I've had them, and the last time was months ago.
sabbylina
Larva
Larva

Post by sabbylina »

Sometimes mine swim around holding algae like they're taking it for a snack. Has it moved around in the last few days?
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Are you able to provide an up-close photo of one (or more) of the shrimp with algae seeming to grow on it? May just be inadvertently getting stuck on them as they cruise around doing their thing. Should eventually just fall off as they move around. I've witnessed that sort of thing with my shrimp. But i would want to see exactly what you're referring to. Thanks!