Tiniest Molt

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Tiniest Molt

Post by i<3Opae »

I guess my shrimp are always hungry so I don't see a whole lot of molt. Yesterday I spotted the molt of a 1-month old baby shrimp (judging from size) and it's so tiny (about 1/3 inch)! This was the tiniest molt I've ever seen in my tank. :lol:

On another note, my 12G tank ended a 3-month pause on reproduction, and had 2 berried shrimp hatching all their eggs in the past month. I have not fed the shrimp for over a year and half. The reason the tank went on a 3-month hiatus was probably due to the fact that I moved 2 snails to another tank, thus disrupting the equilibrium of the tank.

Do you see a lot of molt in your tank?
dilandau
Egg
Egg

Re: Tiniest Molt

Post by dilandau »

i have always ended up with the ghostly transparent remains at the bottom of the tank for me to clean up but i have recently caught one of my females molt just before she berried and only then did it realize why i never catch them molting more often.... ITS FAST! she wiggled a bit to break the skin then bolted outta there...
Attachments
that scene from Bruce almighty when jim carrey strips.gif
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Lol. They eat the molt so no need to clean up really!
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Lol! Perfect gif :smt005
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

dilandau wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:37 pm i have always ended up with the ghostly transparent remains at the bottom of the tank for me to clean up but i have recently caught one of my females molt just before she berried and only then did it realize why i never catch them molting more often.... ITS FAST! she wiggled a bit to break the skin then bolted outta there...
That's almost *exactly* how they do it. (see attachment above) :lol: :-D