Attempt #1 = Fail :(

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

soybean9
Egg
Egg

Attempt #1 = Fail :(

Post by soybean9 »

All,

I have tried and failed with my first "tank." I came across this entire shrimp universe after considering buying an exosphere for a friend before discovering the truth behind them. Anyway I thought why not try to make my own tank as it was very interesting for me. I'm from Kentucky, so I thought a large bourbon bottle (~0.5 gal) would look super cool if I could get it to work. I ordered everything off petshrimp.com and I wired a warm LED in the bottom of the bourbon bottle cork and hooked it to a 12hr on/off timer and left it all for about a month. I put the macroalgae in immediately and some snails in after maybe a week. I'll attach a picture of what the tank looked like shortly after starting the cycle below.

https://ibb.co/NLFq5bg

Anyway I let it sit with the light cycle and its about 3 feet from a window so it gets good indirect light. I leave the cap on 95% of the time. A few weeks ago I found a few snails had not moved in a few days, and so I removed them. Anyway I got my shrimp yesterday, on my birthday actually, and so I siphoned some water out so I could add the 12 shrimp I ordered. They seemed to be find and swimming around, playing in the dried coral fan. I came to check on them late this morning and after about 20 or so hours all of the shrimp have died :(

I am not sure where I went wrong. Maybe because this is such a small tank a small died under a rock and poisoned the water killing the shrimp? Not sure. Anyway I want to restart and let it cycle for a few months before trying with new shrimp in August. Looking for tips on how to try again without failing as bad. I was thinking remove the dead shrimp, leave the snails, and 95% water change and leave it while I'm gone for 9 weeks, but obviously I am in need of any further advice.

Thanks in advance
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Attempt #1 = Fail :(

Post by mike.d »

Assuming you followed the directions on the site and mixed your water and set everything up as recommended... My guess is there was some kind of contamination left in the bottle. Maybe some soap that didn't get completely washed out or some leftover bourbon? Maybe there were contaminants left in the cork that seeped out?

Another possibility, not enough air exchange. I don't know anything about this from a science standpoint, but I'm thinking how the Ecospheres (while completely sealed) still are only 5/8 or so full with water and 3/8 with air.

Could water temperature be a factor? You mentioned it was near a window and had indirect light, that should be okay. Does the LED add heat? Again, these are all guesses.

I took a look at your picture, it does look very cool. Great work!

I'm not sure I would try adding more shrimp to that container even with a 95% water change. It's probably better to start fresh with a new container, then experiment after you have a solid colony going.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I'm not saying it definitely contributed to the deaths but I would remove about 3/4 of the substrate. It's far thicker than it needs to be. If it's too deep, it can make poisonous gas pockets form which are produced by anaerobic bacteria. It might be part of the problem.

After looking at your picture again I see 2 problems. One is the already mentioned thickness of the substrate but the other problem could more likely be the reason why your shrimp died. They likely suffocated. You need to lower the water level to get the largest possible surface area to promote more gas exchange and oxygenation. the surface of the water should be at the widest part of the bottle just below the neck.

Although it looks nice, that container just may not be suitable and able to hold enough water when only filled to its widest point. I would try something different.
Last edited by Dch48 on Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Indeed, it's also important to consider that the smaller the tank is the easier it is for something to go wrong. Dilution is one of a aquatic animal keeper's greatest allies.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Did you use brackish water?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm pretty sure it's that sea fan type of coral. Sea fans do NOT form a calcium carbonate skeleton like hard corals, so they slowly decay in our tanks, with the result that you just experienced. The smaller the tank, the bigger the affect. It's basically organic material as opposed to a mineral like the calcium carbonate skeletons of stony corals. I have seen this issue with sea fans many times before right here on this forum. Along with things like wood and similar organic materials, sea fans are up there as one of the main reasons of "mysterious" deaths. Some people manage to keep them in much larger tanks after scrubbing the hell out of it and maybe soaking it in water before putting it in their tanks. I still don't recommend it because it will still affect the tank over time, just more slowly.

So, unfortunately, you have to take it out. And, yes, 90+ percent water change. The thickness of the substrate won't kill the shrimp, but it really does not have to be that thick. In this small tank about half an inch, 3/4 inch tops is enough. Basically you have to redo the whole thing. Even though these bottles do look cool, dealing with things that go wrong (and what ever goes 100% right?) is a pain and requires so much more effort than with a normal container with a wide opening, as you are now experiencing.

As others have said, extra small tanks (under 1 gallon) are very hard to maintain and when things go wrong, they go really wrong. Think of it as something similar to having only 1 liter of blood in your body instead of the 4.5 to 5.5 in an average human. Imagine drinking alcohol normally or taking medication. What would usually have moderate consequences normally , could probably kill you if you only had 1 liter of blood to dilute things that get into your bloodstream.

Hope this helps!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I have sea fan in my one gallon tank and have never changed the water in 11 months. I have not had a single shrimp death. My population has at least doubled. I believe it can only pose a problem if the dead coral tissue is not completely removed from it.

I still think the main problem is the lack of surface area. Surface area is a critical requirement in any kind of aquarium. Especially one that has no form of aeration or water circulation. CO2 produced at night by the macroalgae and other algal elements in the tank needs to have a way to dissipate into the air otherwise it will poison the animal life in the tank. The plants also absorb oxygen during the night and it needs to be replenished somehow. Like was said, even the dreaded ecospheres have a relatively large surface area which facilitates the necessary gas exchange. That narrow necked bottle has virtually no surface area and then the cork being in place a stated 95% of the time just worsens the situation. The shrimp almost certainly were not poisoned but rather, suffocated.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"Sea fan" denotes hundreds of species with different tissue makeup. Plus, they consist of the more quickly decaying outer tissue, the "skin", and the slowly decaying inner tissue which some people call the "skeleton." Depending on the species, the tissue decays more or less slowly. The question is, do you want to take the gamble? Are you going to recommend to people to gamble by putting in a sea fan? Plus, a lot of sea fans sold as "decoration" out there are not meant to be in aquariums, so they are coated with various chemical substances to make them look more "shiny" or more durable etc..

I can also guarantee you that "sudden shrimp deaths" are not caused by narrow container openings. I have a half a gallon mason jar shrimp tank with one of those rubber gasket seal lids and locking mechanism for the lid. It's locked shut about 99.9% of the time (even though I found out that the gasket is not 100% water tight either, hence air exchange is happening). That half gallon started out with 10 shrimp and expanded to over 30 shrimp now. Also, keep in mind that those stupid ecosphere things are sealed, no air exchange (doesn't matter what the surface area of the water is...it's sealed), no sudden shrimp deaths. Also, the plastic bags we send our shrimp (and snails) in are sealed without air in them. No sudden shrimp deaths. They can last well over a month in these bags, even with macroalgae (which produce the CO2 in darkness) in them in total darkness in a shipping box. So, I can, once again, assure you that the narrow opening is not the culprit for his total loss. In 16 years of breeding these shrimp and running this website, I have not seen a single case of "total loss due to narrow opening" in a tank. Not even partial losses.

Having said that, yes, if something goes severely wrong, as in something is rotting in a tank and there is a bacterial bloom that suddenly consumes almost all oxygen, then a narrow opening will be more of a problem than a wide one. But the shrimp will most likely die in both scenarios if nothing is undertaken (like a water change), just more quickly in one scenario than the other.

This species of shrimp (and also the snails on this website) are not "normal" in any shape or form. They have adapted to extremely low oxygen environments that would kill most other animals.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Okay, but are you saying that your shipping bags are completely full of water with no air in them at all? I don't recall seeing that when I got my shrimp. Yes the spheres are sealed but there is at least 1/3 of their volume being air.

I don't doubt that some sea fan can cause problems but as I said, mine has been in my tank since day one with no issues in 11 months. The water conditions are pristine with not even any nitrates showing let alone anything toxic. I'm posting a picture of my tank. You can see the sea fan and you can see that the surface area is actually greater than the base. There also are cutouts in the side of the lid that allow for air exchange. My tank has gone 100% perfectly since first setting it up and it's the only tank I have ever had in my over 50 years of aquarium keeping that I can say that about.

In the picture provided it appears that the water level is up to the cork. Even if it's slightly below, that's not good. In my opinion, that bottle is not a suitable container unless it was only filled to it's widest point and then it would not not have enough volume of water. A mason jar does not have a narrow neck like that and the surface area of the water is about the same as the base area. Surface area is a critical component in any form of aquarium. You can keep more creatures in a 20 gallon long aquarium than in a standard 20 gallon. Why is that? It's simple. The long tank has a larger surface area. Yes these shrimp are different creatures but not completely unreliant on the same basic requirements.
Super.jpg
soybean9
Egg
Egg

Post by soybean9 »

Thanks to everyone for responding

To clear a few things up-
Yes I used brackish water made using salt ordered from Mustafa. The water was filled to the bottom label, but still about a good inch or so from the bottom of the cork/light. Also, when I added the LED light I had to cut some of the cork to thread the wires, so the cork is no longer airtight, but maybe this isn't enough air anyway because of the surface area like stated in one of the replies. I could drill some holes through the top of the cork to allow for more airflow.

The sea fan I have I got here: https://www.amazon.com/UEETEK-Natural-O ... B06ZZRPMR9

Anyway I do need to start over. Obviously I'd like to try again with this bottle, as I think it really would look great, but again that may not be possible. I'm thinking a complete water change, remove the fan, let it sit for a 2 months or so and then get a test kit to test the water before ordering any more shrimp. Does anyone recommend a good kit I can use? Also, If it is the fan that perhaps poisoned the water, will the micro-algae I have in there be able to filter out any leftover bad bacteria? From what I've read it seems like it does a good job of that, but there are a lot of different types so I'm not sure.

Again thanks for all the help.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

If the sea fan was decomposing, the problem wouldn't be bad bacteria. The problem would be ammonia and/or nitrite levels that become toxic. I guess that could happen but hasn't for me. The macroalgae will absorb some of the ammonia as a nutrient but it will be good bacteria that will completely neutralize it. I have a strong suspicion that these shrimp are very tolerant of nitrites but not of ammonia at all. A total water change will remove all the toxic elements.

The bottle will look nice if you can make it work. I wish you luck.

I got my sea fan from Amazon too and have had no issues with it. It looks exactly like what you have. I found the order. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Dch48 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am Okay, but are you saying that your shipping bags are completely full of water with no air in them at all? I don't recall seeing that when I got my shrimp. Yes the spheres are sealed but there is at least 1/3 of their volume being air.
Yes, full of water. Maybe a large air bubble in there. There's still gas exchange through the plastic. It does not not matter that 1/3 of the volume is "air" if there is no *air exchange* with the outside.
A mason jar does not have a narrow neck like that and the surface area of the water is about the same as the base area.
The whole point was that the mason jar is sealed with a gasket 99.9% of the time. Again, for the surface area to be useful you need *air exchange*. The gasket prevents that, and so does the ecosphere. That was the whole point. The surface area is there to exchange air. If there is no air to exchange, then the surface area is useless.
If the sea fan was decomposing, the problem wouldn't be bad bacteria. The problem would be ammonia and/or nitrite levels that become toxic.
What do you think is causing the decomposition? Exactly bacteria and fungi. Decomposition in biology is just a fancy word for "microorganisms eating organic materials". :-D And they *then* realease nitrogen, such as ammonia, which other microorganisms eat...and they all use up oxygen. Trust me, there are plenty of people here who had sudden die offs with zero (measurable) ammonia or nitrite but organic materials in their tanks (such as driftwood, leaves, sea fans etc.). I actually just got another two emails from people who just started tanks with sea fans and got a "sudden die off" when they received their shrimp. It's really a very common pattern. Too common.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

soybean9 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm Also, If it is the fan that perhaps poisoned the water, will the micro-algae I have in there be able to filter out any leftover bad bacteria? From what I've read it seems like it does a good job of that, but there are a lot of different types so I'm not sure.

Again thanks for all the help.
No problem! Yes, the macroalgae and biofilm will eventually take care of things *provided* there was no other preservative chemical on the sea fan that leached into your water. But nobody will know when your tank is ready again until you put in some animals to "test." The best option is to just change the water.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Mustafa wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 pm
Dch48 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am Okay, but are you saying that your shipping bags are completely full of water with no air in them at all? I don't recall seeing that when I got my shrimp. Yes the spheres are sealed but there is at least 1/3 of their volume being air.
Yes, full of water. Maybe a large air bubble in there. There's still gas exchange through the plastic. It does not not matter that 1/3 of the volume is "air" if there is no *air exchange* with the outside.
A mason jar does not have a narrow neck like that and the surface area of the water is about the same as the base area.
The whole point was that the mason jar is sealed with a gasket 99.9% of the time. Again, for the surface area to be useful you need *air exchange*. The gasket prevents that, and so does the ecosphere. That was the whole point. The surface area is there to exchange air. If there is no air to exchange, then the surface area is useless.
If the sea fan was decomposing, the problem wouldn't be bad bacteria. The problem would be ammonia and/or nitrite levels that become toxic.
What do you think is causing the decomposition? Exactly bacteria and fungi. Decomposition in biology is just a fancy word for "microorganisms eating organic materials". :-D And they *then* realease nitrogen, such as ammonia, which other microorganisms eat...and they all use up oxygen. Trust me, there are plenty of people here who had sudden die offs with zero (measurable) ammonia or nitrite but organic materials in their tanks (such as driftwood, leaves, sea fans etc.). I actually just got another two emails from people who just started tanks with sea fans and got a "sudden die off" when they received their shrimp. It's really a very common pattern. Too common.
Okay, just to clarify. I meant gas exchange, not air exchange. The air in an ecosphere allows that. During light periods, oxygen is produced by the plant life and released and CO2 is absorbed into the water from the air above it to fuel the oxygen production. At night, the exact opposite happens. If they were completely full of water, there would be no exchange and things would die. Therefore it does matter. The surface area is never useless since the larger it is, the more exchange occurs. Even in a sealed container. The surface area is there to exchange gaseous components of the air and not the air as an entirety. If your shipping bags allow gas exchange then they are filling the role of the surface area and actually becoming it. An ecosphere has no such ability.

Sure the sea fan decomposition would be caused by bacteria but they are not what will be absorbed by the macroalgae. Their byproducts, ammonia and Nitrite, are what gets absorbed. Those same bacteria are always present in any tank and are necessary.

These are just basic facts of the aquarium hobby.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Dch48 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:48 pm
Okay, just to clarify. I meant gas exchange, not air exchange. The air in an ecosphere allows that. During light periods, oxygen is produced by the plant life and released and CO2 is absorbed into the water from the air above it to fuel the oxygen production. At night, the exact opposite happens. If they were completely full of water, there would be no exchange and things would die. Therefore it does matter. The surface area is never useless since the larger it is, the more exchange occurs. Even in a sealed container. The surface area is there to exchange gaseous components of the air and not the air as an entirety. If your shipping bags allow gas exchange then they are filling the role of the surface area and actually becoming it. An ecosphere has no such ability.

Sure the sea fan decomposition would be caused by bacteria but they are not what will be absorbed by the macroalgae. Their byproducts, ammonia and Nitrite, are what gets absorbed. Those same bacteria are always present in any tank and are necessary.

These are just basic facts of the aquarium hobby.
Usually, I would not continue this in someone else's thread, but there is just so much wrong with what you wrote that it absolutely needs to be clarified, so that people who read this do not think we are spreading wrong information in this forum.

First of all...the "plants produce oxygen in the ecosphere and keep the shrimp alive, and the shrimp produce CO2 for the plants" is total nonsense and marketing. The little string algae that the company puts in there dies very quickly usually, and there are lots of ecospheres out there that have no plants and are in pretty dark places. Simple fact: The shrimp slowly starve to death, and it takes a long time because they are genetically special. Pretty much ever other animals would just die quickly. But plants in the ecosphere are not the topic here. Keep reading.

Second, the CO2 or any gas ( since "air" is a mixture of gases) does not get "absorbed into the water from the air above" in the ecosphere as you say. The CO2 in the water that is produced by animals or possible plants is already dissolved in the water as carbonic acid. It does not need to get in there from the "air above" as you claim. If anything, some of that carbonic acid will leach into the air pocket above. Same with any gases that are in the water, including oxygen. So, yes, the air pocket in the ecosphere is completely useless. The total oxygen or CO2 in the sealed container is not dependent on any air pockets or the size of the air pocket. It's still the same even if the ecosphere is completely filled with water. Again...it's *sealed*. Not sure what else I need to say to convey the meaning of "saled" and how that prevents gas exchange with the outside air, which is what the rest of us here is talking about. This is really, really simple chemistry and physics.

Third, "gas exchange" *obviously* refers to gas exchange with the outside air (i.e. our planet's atmosphere), not to any exchange between an air pocket in some sealed container and the water. That would make no sense. The whole point of "sealed" is that any oxygen in the container is not being replenished by the oxygen entering from the outside world (i.e. no gas exchange). If the oxygen is used up, it's gone. In a sealed container there is no gas exchange with the outside air, no matter how big the air pocket is. That was what got this whole discussion started, remember?

Fourth, it does not matter that the bacteria are always there...they are there in small numbers. They *explosively* reproduce when they find organic matter to metabolize ("eat"). That is what is causes problems. You are completely ignoring, or not understanding, what I wrote about the bacteria actually using up all the oxygen rapidly in such situations *AND* producing ammonia *much* more rapidly than any plants can absorb. Result: shrimp die "mysteriously."

Finally:
The surface area is there to exchange gaseous components of the air and not the air as an entirety.
What? "Air" is a mixture of gases. There are no "gaseous components" of the air that are somehow separate from the rest of "air", whatever that may be. It is *all* gases. This, unfortunately, shows a complete lack of understanding of basic chemistry. OF COURSE the air gets "entirely" exchanged, not just imagined and never before heard "gaseous components of the air", which I assume you must think are separate from what? Solid components? Liquid components? These kinds of statements are really baffling...

Ok, this is really the last I am going to write about this. Yes, the things I mentioned in this thread are "basic facts" as you write above, so it puzzles me why you do not know about them, and then do not want to accept them when these basic facts are presented to you, but instead continue saying things that are just plain wrong.

You are currently spreading *dangerously* wrong information that cannot be left in this forum without the kind of clarification and rebuttal I am providing right now. After all, I want people reading this to be *correctly* informed, and not do any risky or dangerous things that will eventually kill their shrimp and ruin the hobby for them. And all, because they relied on *provably* wrong information that should not even be here given how basic this information is, and how easily it can be looked up on the internet.

That's it. This thread has been hijacked enough. The original poster has been helped and now knows what to do. If you have any further issues to discuss, just contact me through private messaging here in the forum so I can clarify any more questions or issues you might have. Before you do that, though, I do encourage you you read up on these "basic facts" a few more times, because just being in the hobby for decades does not make up for having the right information. We want to be a responsible forum and website here, so giving out wrong information is the last thing we should be doing, especially since this information is so basic and easily looked up.