How to seed tank with algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

How to seed tank with algae?

Post by Forestshrimp »

I’m wondering how I can seed my tank with algae. I saw a tank with a beautiful sort of dust of algae on the rocks. I’m wondering how I can seed my tank or promote this growth of algae.

Thanks!
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Re: How to seed tank with algae?

Post by JDillon »

You would need to get water from that person’s tank and add it to your tank. My tank has been setup now for about 5 months and I am now getting that green algae on my rocks in spots. Hoping it will continue to grow as it does look cool. I do feed a tiny drop of the spirulina to my tank every week as I want to get the tank going quicker. Plus, it’s fun to watch the shrimp skim the powder off the top of the water.
Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Forestshrimp »

It would be hard to get tank water, because the person that had this algae was in Europe! It would be a good idea to get some established tank water. Spirulina would be a good idea.
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Post by JDillon »

I purchased Shrimp from Mustafa and from a member who sells on eBay. I just dumped the shrimp and tank water into my jar and made sure there was good light and now after several months I have green patches forming on my rocks. Not sure if you are in the US but you could see if anyone here would be willing to sell you some of their water from their established tank.
Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Forestshrimp »

Thanks! The person I’m getting shrimp from lives in my state. I’m sure I could pour in some water from his tank and get some algae :D
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

How much algae do you want in there? Just enough to feed the shrimp or?
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

I’d be willing to buy some of that tank water off your buddy too. I’ve bought shrimp, snails, and macroalgae off Mustafa many times and always dumped in the water but I’ve never had carpet moss grow in my tank and I’ve always been bummed about it.
Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Forestshrimp »

I just want my tank and rocks to look nice :-D
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

It's a fine balance from mild to wild. Just a pic of a few of my Opae Ula tanks with Hawaiian algae. Best way is to get the water filled with the algae spores from someone.
IMG_3681.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg
Attachments
IMG_3689.jpg
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Vorteil wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:44 am It's a fine balance from mild to wild. Just a pic of a few of my Opae Ula tanks with Hawaiian algae. Best way is to get the water filled with the algae spores from someone.

IMG_3681.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg
There you go with that Hawaiian thing again. :wink:
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

:lol:
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Vorteil wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:44 am It's a fine balance from mild to wild. Just a pic of a few of my Opae Ula tanks with Hawaiian algae. Best way is to get the water filled with the algae spores from someone.

IMG_3681.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg
That looks like the perfect environment to also sustain a couple of dwarf blue legged hermits!
Forestshrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by Forestshrimp »

Blue legs would be awesome :smt007
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I just read up on the blue legged hermits. Pretty interesting. May just have to add a few.