Moss ball update

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Moss ball update

Post by JoeG »

Just wanted to give a quick update on the moss ball I bought from Petshrimp on January 30, 2020. It has remained green and hasn’t seemed to get any bigger in the year I’ve had it BUT there are now at least 3 new babies! :D These little guys are sooo tiny but they are balls. I had noticed one over the past several months but a couple days ago I topped off the tank and saw two more. No telling how many others might be hiding in there. I have aragonite substrate and they are so small they easily get lost in it.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Moss ball update

Post by sliphorn »

JoeG wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:17 am Just wanted to give a quick update on the moss ball I bought from Petshrimp on January 30, 2020. It has remained green and hasn’t seemed to get any bigger in the year I’ve had it BUT there are now at least 3 new babies! :D These little guys are sooo tiny but they are balls. I had noticed one over the past several months but a couple days ago I topped off the tank and saw two more. No telling how many others might be hiding in there. I have aragonite substrate and they are so small they easily get lost in it.
I bought one around the same time and a couple months later it had a small growth. So I clipped it off and put it in another tank and it is growing quite well. In fact it has easily tripled in size and is starting a new growth of its own. These are very cool moss balls and seem to move around the tank in search of? Dunno.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

My mother moss ball has a growth on it now. I think I will give it a clip and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea.

Considering there is no noticeable movement in their water it is amazing how much they get around!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

JoeG wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:30 pm My mother moss ball has a growth on it now. I think I will give it a clip and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea.

Considering there is no noticeable movement in their water it is amazing how much they get around!
The shrimp picking at them might do it or if you have snails. their burrowing under them and pushing them around can account for it. Or, maybe just the release of oxygen can make them turn.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

My original moss ball is a floater and has never sunk. The baby that I clipped off of it and put into another tank has never floated. Go figure. Regardless, both are doing very well.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Share some pics
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Attached is the mother and two of the babies circled in red. The babies are so tiny I had to move them up to the front glass so you could sort of see them. :D

Sliphorn I took your suggestion and removed the growth on the mother, I’m up to four babies now!
Attachments
129192AB-3AC4-45E4-91E2-C999CAD6BE4B.jpeg