1st time trying a shrimp tank = failure.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Porq
Egg
Egg

1st time trying a shrimp tank = failure.

Post by Porq »

Hi all, first time poster here. I set up my super shrimp 5 gallon tank using the lava rocks, macro algae, and calcium rocks purchased from this site. I used distilled water and used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals using 1/2 the amount suggested, which equaled about 1/4 a cup per gallon of water if I remember correctly. I waited around 2 weeks then put in a trumpet snail and the third week I added 10 super shrimp. All 10 died within 2 weeks. I know for a fact a few if not more seemed to get stuck in my aquarium rock/gravel substrate but I'm not 100% that killed all of them. I had visible algae growth starting to grow as well. I used no heater, no aeration and no filtering.

I wanted to ask or see if anyone had problems using the reef crystals or gravel substrate?

So I (using the same treated water minus the dead shrimp), removed the gravel substrate and put in sand substrate and will try out new shrimp in roughly 2 weeks from now. I used the same rocks, water, and macro algae. I also used some black tape to cover a couple openings that was for my old filter setup that a few of the shrimp quickly crawled into in the first day or so.

I am also buying a hydrometer to check to see if I somehow made it too salty as well.

Thanks for any future answers/replies.

Porq
Porq
Egg
Egg

Re: 1st time trying a shrimp tank = failure.

Post by Porq »

Update, my refractometer came in and after a quick calibration my salinity was 1.004 to 1.005ish. Is that okay? According to the guide, I really should add a bit of reef salt to increase that a bit.

Thanks,
Porq
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Porq wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm Update, my refractometer came in and after a quick calibration my salinity was 1.004 to 1.005ish. Is that okay? According to the guide, I really should add a bit of reef salt to increase that a bit.

Thanks,
Porq
Shrimps getting stuck in the gravel is highly unlikely. Never heard of it happening, actually. Something killed them to be sure. Why the tape? Letting the shrimp go where they want to and hide is a good thing. I may be misunderstanding so some pics would be helpful. What was the temp? And yes, you should increase the salinity to around 1.010 to 1.012 or thereabouts.

I also feel as if you should start over. Rinse everything thoroughly and start with new brackish water and wait a month before adding shrimp.
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

I am starting over. I have been working on getting the salinity up. Daily I've tested the water and I add a bit more salt each time. I'm surprised on how low mine was following the directions. I did rinse out the tank when I changed from the gravel to the sand substrate. So where I live I'm now getting worried it may be too cold to order more shrimp in the next couple weeks.

Porq.
KiwiCordell
Larva
Larva

Post by KiwiCordell »

When I did my first set up, I purchased everything from Mustafa @ petshrimp, I even purchased the salt from them.
I followed the directions on the website and waited 2 weeks before adding my shrimp.
Don’t be discouraged and take your time. Start by adding 1 or 2 shrimp in your new set up.
I hope this helps.
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

It has been about two weeks since I redid my 5gallon setup. I'm about ready to buy new shrimp. What can I do in advance to test the water to make sure all is well?

Porq
Attachments
20211018_114324.jpg
20211015_135227.jpg
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

Okay, just ordered another batch of 10 shrimp. Lets hope this one goes better than the last:)

Porq
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

Salinity is just a tad over 1.015. Going to drop that a bit in the next couple days before the shrimp arrive.

Porq
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

1.015 is fine too actually. The shrimp are quite adaptable. 1.004 was definitely too low though for successful breeding, but I doubt that was what killed the shrimp. If all 10 shrimp die, than that means something leeched into the water from the substrate, decoration, or the environment and killed them.

Do you have a picture of your tank? What substrate did you use? Let's analyze your tank before you release the new shrimp (which are on their way) into your tank. There may still be some issues after all.
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

i posted a couple pictures above. Anything in particular you want me to get a better picture of? The substrate now is white sand.

Thanks,
Porq
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

For some reason I completely missed the pictures! Also, I guess I was hoping you had a picture of your prior setup. What kind of white sand is it? It's not "live sand" from the pet store, is it? Did you thoroughly rinse it until the water ran clear?
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

It was not live sand, and I did not rinse it but it has been soaking for a few weeks now and I've changed the distilled water out a lot getting the salinity adjusted.

If this batch of shrimp die, I will correct that on the third try.

Porq
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Alright, keep us updated!
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

Will do. Thank you.

Porq
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

It's been a two weeks almost and all was going well. Now I have 3 shrimp who end up laying on their back. 2 seem to have died and one is just laying there on it's back moving its legs. I'm assuming that isn't normal.

Thanks
Porq