Murky Water

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Ghostfellow
Egg
Egg

Murky Water

Post by Ghostfellow »

Hi! :smt006
So I set up a tank as a teenager and it was left forgotten at my parents house as I went off to college, graduated, etc etc. Now that things have calmed down I remembered they existed (oops) and now have them at my house.
Thing is, the water is pretty tinted and an unattractive murkiness. The the top layer of gravel is white, but underneath its very brownish.
I’d like to set up a new tank for them and I’ve heard people mention on this forum that their water is crystal clear, so what did I do wrong as a teen setting them up? I don’t want to make the same mistake and have murky water again.
It’s 1.5 gallon, with snails (their population is booming! So many babies) and about 10 shrimp (same number I started with despite thinking that I saw a berried female years ago). They haven’t been fed in probably 4 years, and when they did get fed last it was with a powder shrimp food. I got the shrimp from petshrimp.com, but I'm pretty sure the snails are from a local pet shop and I think they are trumpet snails.
The tank has fine white aquarium gravel, some driftwood, rocks, calcium rock, a moss ball, and no light as it gets low to mid (depending on the season) indirect light from the window.
When looking around on this forum I heard that the microalgae and lava rocks are important to the cycle; could that be the only thing I’m missing and what’s causing the issue?

Thank you for any help!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Murky Water

Post by SuperProofer »

One culprit would be the driftwood. It decays in brackish water. Not sure what other conditions your tank could have faced while you were gone. But going forward, follow the instructions here and use aquarium-safe decor and you should be fine.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Murky Water

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, driftwood is a not appropriate for Supershrimp tanks. Also, if that "mossball" is a marimo ball from the pet store, it will just rot slowly over time (and before that it usually becomes hair algae infested). If so, I'd take it out.