Calcium supplement!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Calcium supplement!

Post by Kenshin »

What kind of calcium supplement out there in the market should I use for my red cherry shrimps? 20 gallon long and close to heavily planted tank using flourite as my substrate. I have read earlier forums that Mustafa used crushed corals, for calcium source. However, I do not want to use it since my flourite is red/black color already and crushed coral (white color) would make it look funny. And how often should I put it in? How much? Any other things that are needed besides calcium supplement? I know I will not add iodine. I would really appreciate for any feedbacks and advice. Thank you. :D
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Help please...

Post by Kenshin »

Anyone please help in regards to my question above. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I honestly don't know how much calcium supplementation is optimal. I don't do it myself. I know the eco-complete substrate I use contains a decent amount of calcium.

According to Seachem's website, calcium is the 6th (of 14 listed) most concentrated nutrient in Flourite, with about 200 mg/kg of the product.

I believe that feeding shrimp spinach also can help supplement calcium, unless they are like us and magnesium(?) in the spinach inhibits calcium absorption. Which I doubt. I am probably getting my facts mixed a little.

Crushing or juicing spinach leaves and adding the extract to the water may be a good supplement. And should be safe unless you add a ridiculous amount. I probably wouldn't add enough to cause any discoloration of the general water column.

"cuttlebone," supposedly sold in petstores in some form (for birds), is also something I've heard of as a good calcium supp for aquaria. Can't remember where I heard about it. Could it have been this site?
I would go with this over my crazy spinach juice idea.

I suspect crushed snails (shells included of course) woudl supplement soem calcium to the aquarium. The shrimp will enjoy eating the dead snail flesh.
Janis
Larva
Larva

Post by Janis »

I find that crushed coral works really well. You can put the coral into a fine mesh filter bag (or use nylon stockings) and then put it in the filter, that way nobody can see it.

I don't know what kind of calcium levels shrimp need, but I've read that the Asian ones come from areas without a lot of calcium in the water so it might not be a problem for you. I use it because my water has absolutely no hardness to it and the pH will crash if I don't add something to buffer the water.

The only thing to worry about is the pH increase associated with adding crushed coral. I would start off with a little bit in the bag, test the pH and then go from there. I have about 1/2 a cup in my 30 gal.

Good luck! :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp do not "need" calcium supplementation at all. I advocated using crushed coral for people with soft water because it buffers the PH and prevents PH crashes, which can kill your shrimp (and fish) too. That's really the only reason...not as a supplement in the water.

People who have enough buffer in their water supply (=harder water) don't even need crushed coral most of the time. Hope this clears it up.