Super Clear Picture of my Hawaiian Red

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Super Clear Picture of my Hawaiian Red

Post by LiquidBee »

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nice pic. :) Look for free floating larvae in a few weeks.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Liquidbee, congrats on your pregnant Hawaiian red, she has impressive-looking eggs! Thanks for sharing your interesting tank set-up too. :)

-GB
Used
Egg
Egg

Post by Used »

Cool pic.
:D
JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

I see java moss, are hawaiian reds freshwater?
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Post by LiquidBee »

Josh:

No, I do not have these shrimps in Fresh Water...I have them in Brackish Water (Salinity Level of 1.012)

Those are Java Moss you see in the Tank

I originally had some Java Moss in the tank, but took them out, there are little bits and pieces still inside the tank.

The remaining java moss seems to be doing OK.

I took most of the Java Moss out since they were free floating and I didn't like how it looked in my tank.

Mustafa:

I was wondering if I needed to prepare special food for the larva once it hatches ??....

Just want some advices since will be my first batch of newborns.

Thanks
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Post by LiquidBee »

Just thought that I would add an update for the berried female.

The pregnant female seem to be doing fine, it spents most of the time on the ground and not swimming.

I noticed that is does have trouble swimming upside down, when trying to get to the top of the tank to feed on the algae powder that I feed.

Therefore I would crush up some Spirulina, mix it with water, and that would sink to the bottom.

I also noticed that the Opae do kinda fight for food (maybe I'm not feeding them enough). The shrimps would pinch one-another to get at the same food. Although I didn't notice any damage cause by the pinching, the other shrimp would to swim away quickly (but not popcorn). This only happens once in a while.

Just my 2 cent and update. Will try to get picture of the Larva when it hatches in a few weeks