Hawaiian Red Shrimp...my turn.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

frugalfish wrote:My current batch is at 19. :shock:
That's great! Give it about 2 weeks and you'll have postlarvae running around. :) I absolutely love these shrimp! :smt038
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Are these shrimp totally bacteria/algae eaters? I'm wondering if they could co-exist and be a benefit to amano fry? I end up with way too much algae. It would be great to get some symbiosis.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote:Are these shrimp totally bacteria/algae eaters?
Yes, but they eat such tiny amounts that they would be completely useless as a clean-up crew. Here is a "secret" tip that nobody seems to know but which I found out:

Acclimate some malaysian trumpet snails to saltwater and use them as a clean-up crew. They will live and even breed at full-strengh sea water.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Thanks! That has to be the tip of the month!
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Well another batch of larvae are one by one on their way to becoming little shrimp. The total count of this last bunch was an astonishing 24 larvae. Also there are two more ovigerous females today. I'm not sure what has suddenly caused there to be such production, but nevertheless I'm very pleased. :-D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi frugalfish
Success in breeding, is alway good to hear.

In the case of the Halocaridina rubra, According to YuccaPatrol,s post.
They may soon be protected.

So, any captive Shrimp, that are breeding.
Are a plus, to be able to keep them in the Hobby.

Please, keep the updates coming.

Have a Great Day
John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

frugalfish wrote:Well another batch of larvae are one by one on their way to becoming little shrimp. The total count of this last bunch was an astonishing 24 larvae. Also there are two more ovigerous females today. I'm not sure what has suddenly caused there to be such production, but nevertheless I'm very pleased. :-D
24? Wow..that's a huge batch. :) Your "sudden" success probably stems from the fact that finally their environment is to their liking and/or your shrimp have finally matured.
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Mustafa wrote:24? Wow..that's a huge batch. Your "sudden" success probably stems from the fact that finally their environment is to their liking and/or your shrimp have finally matured.
I've had these shrimp for about a year now and when I first received them they were very small, so perhaps it is a matter of them maturing enough along with their environment doing the same.

This batch was interesting in how they all appeared. First sighting of the new larvae was first three, then around two days later a mass explosion of them ending in a total of 24. Lot of traffic in the bobbing around section of the tank.

I think it is interesting the way they develope. First it's just the aimless headdown floating around business. Then they get a bit more active with the up and down movement seeming to learn how to control their location a bit. Next as they near the post larval stage they become slightly horizontal. Lastly they start to touchdown on surfaces and swim about horizontally finally becoming post larval.

As much as I enjoy all my other shrimp, these are the most interesting to study.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

frugalfish wrote: As much as I enjoy all my other shrimp, these are the most interesting to study.
Yes, they are one of my most favorite species, too, although I seem to have a lot of favorites. :-D I see a great future for these shrimp in our hobby as they are actually easier to keep and maintain (if done right) than most other shrimp species out there.
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Talk about Easy

Post by LiquidBee »

Yeap, these are probably the easiest shrimps that one can find in this hobby.

It's been a while since I updated, but my 20 gallon tank is doing extremely well...so well that I'm thinking about getting a bigger tank (50 gallon) for them.....since it is getting crowded... I think I might have over 200 in the tank, with at least 50+ larves. Not sure if it's the weather or season but for the last 2-3 month, they have been producing like crazy.

Anyways, just want to wish everyone good luck, and I'm free to answer any questions about these little guys.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

LiquidBee

Did you ever get a larger tank.

If so, lets see some pictures.

John
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Another update.

Well these little shrimp have just been chugging along and doing very well. I have learned that the only reason they did not breed sooner was do to maturing of the shrimp and the tank they inhabit. Seeing now how large an adult is has shown me that these were very young when I got them. Now, almost like clockwork, new batches of larvae are pumped out. I would say on average with out exaggeration that I have easily 30-40 larvae every three weeks. It has gotten now that I supplement their diet with feedings about twice a week since they have decimated the algae population and seem to jump on food when offered. I would say barring any catastrophe, this should pretty much be par for the future of the group.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great job and information. Thanks for sharing the Good news :-D .
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

frugalfish

Thank You
For the information. This information should help alot of members that want to venture into Breeding a new Species of Shrimp.

John
wingnut247
Egg
Egg

lurker

Post by wingnut247 »

I have been lurking and searching here for a while...

I have
-Skunk Cleaners (in a salt tank)
-Pepermints (in 3 salt tanks)
-Ghost (acclimated to full salt))
-Mysids (salt)

I have been interested in the Hawaiian Rubra for a while...I just got about 50... lost 1 in trasport. I was suprized to see how active they are. They are always swimming all over the tank.

I plan on splitting the population into 3 groups and do a little experimenting.... try different aglae, salinity, photoperiod, tank designs, substrates.

I've learned so much here... thanks to all of you that post.

-Wingnut