Another Happy Customer

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Another Happy Customer

Post by Quake2Player »

I hope I don't embarass Mustafa by posting another endorsement to his baby Cherry Reds .... but I will anyway.... :wink: :wink: :-D :-D

I ordered online on Monday, received shipment on Thursday... all 10 baby cherry reds arrive alive!!

Here's a 1st hand look at how well he packages these babies:
(plastic breather bag in newspaper in foam box, then more newspaper in shipping box)

I am lucky enuff to have 2 established planted tanks... a 29gal and 10gal both with driftwood and plant cuttings I am using now in the shrimps' new 3Gal home:

a few of em at a time:

Full view of the Red Cherrys' home, species tank (3Gal Eclipse):

Details on my Plants:
Anacharis: long stem plants seen more in background, great for sucking up the nitrates.... these are cuttings from my other tanks.
Java Fern: I stuck baby java ferns offshoots from my other tanks, into the driftwood, taken from my 29gal
Banana Plant cutting: can barely see it in the foreground... no bananas, but it's sprouting leaves and sending a small shooter to the top.

Oh, and I tied a "netting" on the Eclipse's filter intake... cut out of one of those media bags... good enuff to prevent babies from being sucked up!

Thanks for your work behind these shrimps Mustafa!!! Great work!!

Now the tough part in keeping these beautiful babies alive
:-) :-) :-)

oh... and I am wondering if I'll need a mini-heater for this when winter comes... I posted in another thread ;-)
JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

keep feeding them and youll have babies like i do now :)
Josh
Urkevitz
Egg
Egg

Post by Urkevitz »

Is that fungus on the legs of the shrimp in the third pic?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Another Happy Customer

Post by Mustafa »

Quake2Player wrote:Here's a 1st hand look at how well he packages these babies:
(plastic breather bag in newspaper in foam box, then more newspaper in shipping box)
Dammit! You gave away my secret packaging method! :-D :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Urkevitz wrote:Is that fungus on the legs of the shrimp in the third pic?
No idea what that is, but whatever it is..it goes away with the next molting usually. Some shrimp develop this for some reason. I don't think it's fungus though...since fungus would not limit itself to the legs.
Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Post by Quake2Player »

JoshGuppy wrote:keep feeding them and youll have babies like i do now :)
Josh
Josh, what's your feeding regimen and for how many shrimp?
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Quake, thanks for sharing your setup and also for giving up Mustafa's "secret" packaging technique. ;-)

I've got a couple tanks set up on a counter too, and I especially like that you can run around and have access to a view from either side. You've got a couple months before having shrimplets, but my one suggestion would be, a sponge over the intake might be easier in the long run (I've messed with making a cover out of netting too and sponge IMO is definitely better to work with). I don't know how small the holes on the media bags are, but shrimplets are quite tiny, so thought I should at least mention it, but of course it's your call.

I have a question: In the first picture, is the bag they came in blue or is the water itself blue??? The reason why I ask is because one time, when I was at a Petco, a worker there was emptying a new shipment of feeder goldfish into a bucket with a net over it to catch and "drain" the fish before throwing into the tank. Apparently they're shipped in a strange blue liquid, and wondered what that was all about, and whether shrimp are shipped that way too.

Anyway, enjoy!

-GB
Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Post by Quake2Player »

GunmetalBlue.... Mustafa uses "breathable" bags and the blue u see is just the ink that is stamped on by the company that sells those bags... his water wasn't blue.

Thx for the tip on using sponge... I shall keep my eyes out and see what's available. The media-bag holes are quite small.... it restricts flow on the water intake that the outflow current is not strong enough to make the bio-wheel move... a small loss I think cause all I have are shrimp in the tank, no fish, so the extra beneficial bacteria I lose from the biowheel not moving is not a big deal... so I hope.

Have u ever posted pics of ur shrimp tanks? It's always great to get ideas from others.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Hey, what does he put in the bags (if anything) for the shrimp to hold onto during shipping? I have never shipped shrimp, but if I ever do I'd like to have good ideas of what to put in the bag with the shrimp. I'd kind of prefer not to use java moss or other live plants if there are good alternatives.
Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Post by Quake2Player »

He uses a few short threads of yarn and it seems to work quite nicely... shrimpies all made it.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Quake2Player wrote:Have u ever posted pics of ur shrimp tanks? It's always great to get ideas from others.
I've not shown my tanks for two reasons, 1.) I have a brown thumb. And when all my plants kept dying, someone told me to just keep the plants in their original little pots (rinsing well first, to get rid of any excess ferts and weigh down with gravel). This makes rearranging a cinch; just move pots with an aquarium tong. 2.) Form never did follow function in my tanks; they're strictly functional for the shrimp, without benefit of looks. But since you asked, I'll go ahead and offend some eye sockets. :smt104 :smt081

Side view of 20 gal: Bought a 2-pack of Fluval 2 for the intake, $3.99. Cut them exactly in half which fit, so that's good for 4 intakes in my case. Although they're bright-colored at first, they mellow out and you hardly notice them. I've got plastic plants, each weighted down with an attached piece of gravel. Real plants are: Vals, java moss, java fern and Windelov's fern.

Front view of 20 gal: The plants are all moveable. I've got 2/3 sand bottom, 1/3 gravel, quartz rocks and that fake coral which is out of place, but its surface dimpling serves as a good algae grazing place for shrimp.

I have two of these 10 gal tanks. It's pictured with plastic plants, but I've got some live plants in there now too.

-GB
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Quake2Player wrote:He uses a few short threads of yarn and it seems to work quite nicely... shrimpies all made it.
yarn... not just for cats anymore, ey? That's pretty good.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

GB, your tanks look nice and clean.
What kind of filters do you have hooked up? I usually have the overhanging power filter.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Luuuurve your tank GB :smt007 :smt007
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Quake, about the yarn, yes, more Mustafa secrets we are learning from you... :P

Hey Chlorophyll, I'm a one piece minimal kind of person, so I've stuck with all Via Aqua Aquariums; I've got the AR620 and AR380. I guess they call them powerheads for filtration? Everything's built into the upper part of the intake and the back part of the hood. http://www.aquaone.com.au/curvedglass_a ... ar980).htm

Lol, Marge, that glowing translucent fushia-colored hood must have shined right into your eyes! 8)

-GB