Test kits and other newbie stuff

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mctwo
Egg
Egg

Test kits and other newbie stuff

Post by mctwo »

Hello everyone. Still researching. Do most of you use test kits that are in strip form or with the vials/chemicals? And which tests are essential to have?

I am probably going to order cherry reds for my first adventure into having shrimp as pets. I just want to get the tank and everything ready BEFORE ordering the shrimp.

I am looking at getting a 12 gallon Eclipse System. I live in the NYC area and space is a premium at our place. I will order some kind of sponge filter to keep shrimp from being sucked up in the filtering system.

I would like to add a nice selection of natural plants to the tank. I do not have any greenspace where I live and really enjoy having green things around me.

In reading old posts, it seems that beginners get into more trouble using natural rocks and wood to decorate their tanks with. What are your thoughts on using the resin rocks and wood to decorate with?

That is probably enough stuff to post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi mctwo,

Be sure that in your test kit you have copper, iron, ph, amonia, nitrate and nitrite.

(Other's will add to this I'm sure)

As for the filter...
I posted in this previous thread about this similar issue...

Quote:

Hi,

I have a very easy solution.
I use a half a sponge that that are normally used for Aquaclear.
I make and X with some scissors cutting half way down the sponge.
Then just shove it over the filet intake.

I have found that this works very well for baby livebearers.
The only thing is that you need to squeeze it clean every so often.

TKD

PS I have tried the fine-meshed net/panty hose and they clog up to fast.

The thread: viewtopic.php?t=162&highlight=
Hope this helps,

TKD
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Mctwo, Red Cherries will be an excellent first choice for you. One little hint is you said cherry reds - you might want to switch that around and get in the habit of calling them red cherries (or cherries is understood), the reason is, confusion can develop if you were to type out abbreviations; I recall incidences of people typing CR, when they really meant RC. RCS=Red Cherry shrimp, whereas CRS=Crystal Red shrimp, they are two different species that might need different types of advice.

If I recall correctly, the Eclipse has a cyclindrical intake? If so, the Fluval 2 sponge should work. I use them on all my tanks and haven't found any shrimplets in the upper filter part of the chamber as of yet. Just cut to the length of your intake.

Here's the Fluval 2 sponge (I wish I could find them in gray, oh well)

I've personally avoided wood/driftwood, mostly because I want to keep it simple and also out of fear of potential disaster. Some use it with great success, others end up with problems due to stuff (was it tannins?) leeching out. So if you use it, be aware of any prepping of it before using it. I'm not sure what resin products are? If they are the stuff they sell in the aquarium section and are supposed to be inert, that should be okay.

I've used "found" rocks, but it's not something I would particularly recommend. I have quartz and pebble type stones (with no veins) in my aquariums, but it's one of those case by case scenarios and one has to be alert, as you mention, from other's experiences.

-GB
russell
Egg
Egg

Post by russell »

i use one similar to the green one in the picture but black. it is made by jebo. not sure if you can buy them individually though. it came with a uv sterilizer.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Hey,
I honestly don't even own test kits (I'm not saying that you shouldn't). If I did, I'd probably go with the dip strips which to me, would be "good enough." I wouldn't want to spend much money on that kind of stuff. Maybe I'd try these.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 004+113074

Could be a case of "you get what you pay for" though ;)
I should say there is a possibility your local water supply has something fundamentally wrong with it to house your shrimp. So maybe it is a good idea to test your tap for copper, iron, hardness, pH. I probably take the good tap water in my location for granted.

If you plan on using decoration made of artificial inert materials, that is one less thing to worry about as far as water chemistry. I like to use more natural stuff, but the shrimp will take to just about anything they can crawl around on. I tend to think the shrimp will prefer rock rock, but I don't see any problem with using artificial rock designed for aquaria.

This prefilter is really nifty and neat for hooking up to just about any power filter. I have one; I like it.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/lupr.html
Another poster (jonathan03) would probably also recommend it.
But it's certainly not necessary to spend that much (adding in shipping) to rig something to make your power filter safe.

Cheapest way would probably be something like what TDK recommended.
Or you could just buy your sponge filter and run that alone.
But with the right size tubing or hosing, you could probably hook up virtually any cheapo sponge filter onto a power filter's intake... could be a challenge to make it pretty though. But to me, you might as well hook it up to a power filter (assuming your aquarium system comes with one) than run a sponge filter alone. Especially to help along a brand new tank.