Shrimp eggs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

Shrimp eggs

Post by nemesis1337 »

For the past week I've seen two female shrimps drop their eggs. They were brown in color and I'm not sure if this means if they're fertilized or not. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem may be that is causing them to drop the eggs?

edit: in addition to them dropping eggs, I've noticed that they drop it on top of the java moss. Do they expect the moss to incubate the eggs or something? or just a coincidence?
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

My optimistically benign suggestion would be that they're simply not fertilized. Do you know how many males you have with them?
By the way, what kind of shrimp?
nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

Post by nemesis1337 »

it's weird cause the shrimps do the hormone dance prior. i have around 10-11 males out of 16ish. they're a mix of blue and tiger shrimp
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

brown eggs on tiger shrimp are the right color when fertilized. there may be other factors, such as stress or water quality, that may have affected the eggs.
nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

Post by nemesis1337 »

i was looking in my tank the other day and it was weird. a pregnant shrimp had eggs, but only on the front portion (almost 1/4 of its tail). if ur right fugly, it could be they're dropping it because of poor water? but i water changed just 2 days ago.
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

The water change can be a factor as well, if you didn't change the water slowly. If water in the tank is considerably different from water out of the tap, it can cause additional stress on the shrimp and their eggs.
nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

Post by nemesis1337 »

thanks, i'll keep that in mind the next time i wc
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

I use other tanks (5 or 10 gal) to hold the pregnant shrimps (RCS or CRS). In my experience, water change or add new water can cause this too (especially crs -- they seem to be so picky).

I do water change for these tanks "very slowly". I remove old water and have aged new water "dripped in" (about 1-2 drops a second). So usually water change for 2 gallons can take more than 12 hours or the whole day.