Bumblebee Color Variation Questions - Updated!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Bumblebee Color Variation Questions - Updated!

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi, anyone here successfully kept Bumblebees? I attempted to a while back, unfortunately all five died on me. :cry: They were so charming too; wish I could successfully keep them one of these days.

Anyway, I was puzzled that they were of two different colors, almost as if they were two different species. When I look in the shrimp varieties page, it does state "It is not clear if the many color variations on the market lately (mostly in Asia and Europe, but some also in the US) are selectively bred variations of the Bumblebee Shrimp or hybrids."

Out of the five Bumblebee I purchased, two were similar to an earlier picture (which no longer shows) in the Varieties page, I presume these are what they look like in the wild?:

However, the other three shrimp were a color I've not seen pictures of online. These had patches of opaque yellow as opposed to the translucent yellow/white. No sign of the powder-coat white that I've seen in other people's pics. I personally liked the yellow; it better represents their "Bumblebee" name.

Top view:

With this color variation, do you think they're wild-caught or bred? The info I got from the semi-LFS was that they're wild-caught, but I don't know if the person really knew. Or perhaps they are stressed/sick from having just been imported before I bought them? Or is this color variation quite normal, among the "many color variations" available to them, and if so, does that mean they were either selectively bred or possible hybrids? Thanks for any info or experiences, even info concerning what conditions you've found helps them thrive, i.e., PH, temp, water hardness, etc.

While searching back topics I got the impression there's still very little known about the origins and variations of this species.

-GB
Last edited by GunmetalBlue on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Oh wow, I don't have any experience with the species.
But those are beautiful. Of course, your photography ALWAYS makes things look very vivid. But gold and black is always a winning combo! :-)
golemgirl
Egg
Egg

Post by golemgirl »

I haven't had mine for long, maybe two months, but they do seem to thriving and the female seems to be berried... As to water conditions, I know my pH is between 7.8-8.0, the tank is unheated, and water is very hard...

Coloration-wise, two of the males are the same color as your first picture, but with bluishish tints wher yours has a greenins tint, while the female and the third male are both a very dark black with white stripes, almost opaque (without being cloudy).

I will ask the LFS if mine are wild caught or tank raised...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As far as I know all bumblebees that are sold in the US currently (and most other countries) are wild-caught. There is no fish farm or anything that breeds them. And yes, they can have variation in coloration depending on mood, environment etc.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

Very nice pictures.
I can confirm, that they are hard to keep alive.
Three weeks ago i bought 14 bumblebees. So far six of them have died.
I hope i can keep the rest alive. It's a very cute shrimp.

Best regards
Bo
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hey Chlorophyll, I really liked this particular color. I'm drooling at the thought of one day having a breeding population if I can figure out how best to get them to survive...

Golemgirl, welcome to the forum. :) I really appreciate your input; it gives me some hope as your water conditions are about like mine. The only thing is the temp here can get past 78 degrees in the summer and would have to make an extra effort to keep it down. May I ask what is the upper range of temp you've had them in? Ah, lucky you, having a berried female; hope she'll successfully have shrimplets!

Good to know Mustafa, thanks. :)

Hi Bo, thanks for your input, hope the rest of your BB's can survive too. As it's pretty discouraging for me to feel, why bring them home if I'm going to kill them anyway? But I have to keep in mind that if I can keep some long enough to breed, the succeeding population should be a bit more hardy. At least one can only hope! Yes, they are very cute shrimp.

-GB
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

golemgirl wrote: while the female and the third male are both a very dark black with white stripes, almost opaque (without being cloudy).

I will ask the LFS if mine are wild caught or tank raised...
I think you have some domesticated culls. The black and white is obviously an Othello.
golemgirl
Egg
Egg

Post by golemgirl »

At most the tank has gotten up to 76... Its hard to say as its hottest late afternoon when I'm not there to read the thermometer... Unfortunately the berried female has since dropped her eggs, so I seem to be doing something wrong...

edinjapan- What is an "Othello"? I'm pretty new to the shrimp hobby and haven't seen this term before...
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

golemgirl wrote:At most the tank has gotten up to 76... Its hard to say as its hottest late afternoon when I'm not there to read the thermometer... Unfortunately the berried female has since dropped her eggs, so I seem to be doing something wrong...

edinjapan- What is an "Othello"? I'm pretty new to the shrimp hobby and haven't seen this term before...
Bee shrimp have different colours and grades. Wi(wild),S(standard), B and A with A being the best. There are R(red), W(white), R&W, B(black) and B&W colour combinations and many variations inbetween.

The Othello are named after the game with the B&W coloured circles.

So we have many different colour forms and they only breed true about 10-20% of the time. The culls are usually sold as wild forms for a low price and the bred forms for a high price. From an average group of culls you may find a few with good colour potential and over time you can breed to the colour and pattern you want.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Thanks Golemgirl for the temp info. I'm wondering now if keeping a lower temp tank is something feasible for me - winter will be a cinch, but summer, aack... BTW, sorry to hear about the dropped eggs. I wonder if the higher PH had any cause in this... Of course if the eggs weren't fertilized, that's another reason too. Hang in there.

Anyone out there keeping Bumblebees without problems? Please let us know your water parameters! :?

Hey Ed, that's some good info to know there - but I'm confused because you said Bee shrimp. From what I understand, isn't that related to some of the bred variations on Crystal Reds? There seems to be a definite distinction between Bees and Bumblebees - unless of course you were merely using the Bee as an example of colors and grades of which may be used on the Bumblebees... Also, there was no mention of yellow - I like it, but is that a color not even considered in most circles? Thanks for your input and I apologize if I'm misunderstanding your post.

-GB
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

I have both varieties and the colour grades are the same. The difference is in the size, care and the number of different colour morphs. Bumblebee shrimp are larger than CRS and Othellos and lack all the variation.
blenny
Larva
Larva

Post by blenny »

Last edited by blenny on Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
blenny
Larva
Larva

Post by blenny »

Mustafa wrote:As far as I know all bumblebees that are sold in the US currently (and most other countries) are wild-caught. There is no fish farm or anything that breeds them. And yes, they can have variation in coloration depending on mood, environment etc.
Not only mood and environment. I was in Southern China, the place where bee/bumblebee are caught and send out. Bee shrimps from different creek has slight variation in pattern/color.

Mustafa, are you able to breed them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

blenny wrote:
Mustafa, are you able to breed them?
I have had very moderate success so far with them. I have two different varieties of "bumblebee shrimp" (I am almost certain that they are different species) and they are both very sensitive. In fact...the bumblebee shrimp is probably the most sensitive species I am keeping. I'll report back on them once I have managed to find the "ideal conditions" ;) for them so their population increases.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Our Bumblebees (Hummels) breed with no problems. They also don't seem to sensitive to water conditions.

Where did you get yours from, Mustafa?