New to the hobby

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

New to the hobby

Post by Ecir »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the hobby and I've been haunting your forum for a bit trying to learning more about shrimp.

My GF is a big fish buff and I'm always getting dragged out to the LFS but the fish have never really interested me too much. The other week they had a shrimp there that was about 2-3 inches long and a whitish color and it was the most facitating thing I've seen but he was asking 35$ for it....

I stumbled onto this site to do a bit of research and decided that it was far to much for one shrimp especially considering the short life span and decided to start with some cherries. I claimed a 10g tank as my own, right now it has some nice algae coverd rocks and a few plants and sticks and it's been home to a few different fish as we learn if we can keep the plants alive.

This week I should be getting my shipment of 10 cherries and I'm really excited about it!

I'll see about posting a pic of the tank and it's new inhabitants. Great to be a part of all this shrimpage :-D

- Ecir
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi Ecir,

Welcome to the board.

So to be clear... there will be no fish in the tank when the cherries go in?

TKD
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

TKD wrote:Hi Ecir,

Welcome to the board.

So to be clear... there will be no fish in the tank when the cherries go in?

TKD
Lol, no fish just shrimp, I just thought they might help the plants get growing better.... althought the Zebra Danios had babies before they got pulled out so theres a big swarm of those right now but they won't be able to do anything to the shrimp.

- Ecir
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Ecir wrote:. . . but they won't be able to do anything to the shrimp.
. . . except eat them.

I'd reconsider keeping those zebra danios in there even if they are just babies. Your shipment is likely to be composed of very small young shrimp and you want to grow them up and get them breeding before you begin risking adding some to a tank with fish.
Aiglos
Egg
Egg

Post by Aiglos »

Good luck in your Shrimp keeping ! always nice seeing other Canadians getting into the shrimp hobby.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Welcome to the forum both Aiglos and Ecir!
Keep your tanks as a single shrimp species, at least to start. Adding new species should be done one at a time and only after extensive research. The success of one person does not mean it is a good idea, like keeping anglefish with shrimp. Once you are overrun with shrimp you may want to experiment, but my experience is any fish that will eat live food of any type is a threat to shrimp. I only keep fish with shrimp that require special handling/isolation to breed, and only those that are not interested in playing with or stressing out the shrimp.

I've found that Endlers, Ottos, and SAE's are safe with adult shrimp. None are safe with babies. Give the shrimp lots of fuzzy plants.
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

WELCOME ERIC!!! :-D

i just come in to +1