Shrimp hunting

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Bacchanal
Egg
Egg

Shrimp hunting

Post by Bacchanal »

I'm an avid shrimp lover, and have recently come to consider taking advantage of my geographical location. I live in south Florida (around 26° 9' , -80° 17'), on the outskirts of the 'glades. Presuming it is legal to do so (I have not yet investigated its legality), I would like to head out into the swamp to see if I could catch some shrimp. Keep in mind that I have no desire to sell them, merely keep them (and if possible breed them), and I do not wish to seriously impact the local population (i.e. I would ideally like to catch only a handful, just enough for a viable breeding population).

Are there any local species of which you know? Are there any resources which I could check to find out if there are any known local species?

Are there any special considerations concerning adjusting wild-caught shrimp to tank life (other than attempting to mimic their natural water characteristics)?

Is there an ideal time of day to go looking? What sorts of equipment would I need to bring? Obviously I should bring a bucket (to keep the shrimp in), some kind of closed container for a water sample, a net of some sort, and a friend with a cellular phone (to call the local press to laugh at me after I am bitten by a moccasin and swallowed whole by a gator). Is there any sort of bait or trap I could use? Would simply dressing up in a shrimp suit with a large pink bow on my rostrum work?

Are there any ethical considerations to catching wild shrimp in small numbers? Logistical and legal considerations aside, should I not do this?

Your thoughts are appreciated.