Ghost Shrimp dead

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Ghost Shrimp dead

Post by Monkanater »

two of the Ghoast shrimp i got have died after molting. after molting they were very white and then died after 4-5 days. whats the problem with my tank?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Hard to say without knowing the parameters of your tank. In my limited experience, there are three things that kill shrimp: nitrogen, heavy metals, and age.
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

what kind of heavy metals? and i know it was not age beacause they were smaller then the bigger ones i have.
BlueEL
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Ghost Shrimp dead

Post by BlueEL »

It usually means the hardness of your water is too low or lack of calcium for them properly form their new shell.
Monkanater wrote:two of the Ghoast shrimp i got have died after molting. after molting they were very white and then died after 4-5 days. whats the problem with my tank?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Monkanater wrote:what kind of heavy metals? and i know it was not age beacause they were smaller then the bigger ones i have.
Any heavy metal, but copper is the most infamous.

Size is not a good indication of age. Well-fed young shrimp can easily out grow older shrimp.
BlueEL wrote:It usually means the hardness of your water is too low or lack of calcium for them properly form their new shell.
I think shrimp get their calcium from the food they eat, not from absorbing it from the water.
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

[/quote]
I think shrimp get their calcium from the food they eat, not from absorbing it from the water.[/quote]
What kind of food do i feed them so they they get calcium?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Normal fish food has enough calcium. So do most other things that they eat by the way...including algae.

Mustafa