What dark substrate do you recommend?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

What dark substrate do you recommend?

Post by Neonshrimp »

I am setting up a new tank and need advice on what type of substrate to use. I have been using a light colored sand and that was a mistake as it does not enhance the color of my shrimp and the waste can be easily seen! I was thinking either dark sand or some type of dark pebble shaped gravel I see in some of your pics 8) . Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Tahitian Moon Sand is jet black and does not effect the pH. It is fine, but not as fine as play sand.
fishgeek
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fishgeek »

any fine grain silica sand is suitable
it is usually rounded and feels soft to touch

silica is inert and will not react with you water
andrew
demented_lullaby
Larva
Larva

Post by demented_lullaby »

Eco-Complete
skewlboy
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by skewlboy »

Has anyone tried onyx? Is there a difference from TMS?

Anything wrong w/ using flourite or ecocomplete underneath - dude at fish store told me that I would be better to mix ecocomplete and onxy w/ some ecocomplete on top.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Steer clear of Onyx. It is blue limestone & expensive. It will totally ruin your pH and set it to around 8.7. Got some, tried it, dumped the tank as a result.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the warning about Onyx because I was considering it. Saved me problems with that substrate.

Later.
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

I have been using Onyx Sand for quiet a while now for one tank and Flourite in another tank, and both my RCS (Onyx Sand) and Snowball (Flourite) shrimps have been doing great. My tap water is very soft and the Onyx Sand helps to buffer it quiet a bit. So far no problems. So I guess it all depends on your water source. I am planning on taking the Snowball shrimps and Green shrimps and place them in a tank with Onyx Sand this week. :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Sand is one thing. He's asking about the black gravel, which is limestone. Is that what you are using? Test any with Muratic acid. If it bubbles, don't use it. No good in the long run. I blew $25 on a bag. It warns of "slight buffering" on the side of the bag. I guess digestion of raw meat is "slight buffering".
Killfrenzy
Egg
Egg

Post by Killfrenzy »

Sorry for the bump, but if you look at Seachem's own site, they show some of the details.

Calcium content on both Onyx substrates is up there: 197500 mg/kg. For reference, that's about half of what's in most of their marine substrates. In fact, comparing the quantities listed, I'd even venture to guess that Gray Coast, Onyx Sand, and Onyx Gravel may all very well be, in essence, the same thing.

Flourite Red and Flourite only have 120 and 195, respectively.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the information, I am still looking for good substrate in my price range. This will help me make a choice :D .
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I like the mixed color (red and black) Flourite. I know it is expensive, but it does look really nice.

I may try eco-complete the next time around, but for now I am very happy with the Fluorite.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Alright, I'm going to make an exception to my own "no commercial links" rule and post a link to a dark gravel that is both affordable and inert (i.e. it won't change your water parameters):

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/pro ... ry_id=2405

It looks grey in the above link, but that's because the picture shows the gravel in its unwashed, dusty state.

When it's washed and in the tank it's black as seen on this page:

http://www.petshrimp.com/crystalredshrimp.html

I'm not quite sure what kind of rock this gravel is, but it looks like basalt. If it is basalt, you might also be able to get it locally through a landscaping store/department or a quarry for even cheaper than online.

Hope this helps.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It looks great with the shrimp on it :shock: . I will get some and try it in my tank.

Thanks!
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Heh, can't wait for the economy to fix itself, The Canadian dollar finally caught up with the American and that gravel is still twice the price on that guys Canadian site :roll: