Diatoms and shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

joeinaz
Egg
Egg

Diatoms and shrimp

Post by joeinaz »

I have a continuing occurance of diatoms in my 47gal tank. It appears that the "Ghost" shrimp are actively eating this. Any experiences positive or negative as I am thinking of putting 3 Ottos in to eradicate the diatoms, but if the shrimp will/should eat them, I won't.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

First of all, welcome to the forum and hope you like the great information and pics you can find here. Could you please describe the organisms you are concerned about?

Thanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

These infestations normally run their course and go away on their own. Ottos are great in shrimp tanks, one of the few safe fish, so go ahead and get them. They are nice fish.
fishgeek
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fishgeek »

not exactly certain what you are calling diatoms
to me they are unicellular algae, so absolutely fine for botht the shrimp and oto's to eat, infact i am sure some of the members here are activey trying t grow green water for planktonic shrimp raising

if you are meaning small inveterbrates then i believe you will see those in your shrimp tanks because there is not the normal predation by fish , these are not harmful in my experience

andrew
Dusko
Larva
Larva

Post by Dusko »

This is the best macro photo of Brown Diatom algae I made, you can see they have rectangular shape

Here is another one where you can compare the size of the diatoms with a 1mm big Green Spot algae

My Amanos do spend some time eating them of the gravel but the Otos of mine do the glass and plant leaves. Extra Info

Regards, Dusko.