diet for crayfish

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mothi
Egg
Egg

diet for crayfish

Post by Mothi »

Maybe a stupid question but what is the proper diets for crayfish? One place I read says as adults they should have more veges and not too much protein. It says definately not too much fat. (http://www.anapsid.org/crayfish.html)

I have been mostly feeding my crayfish (in order of what is given most often):
Sinking Wafers (Hikari) ~ Their favorite thus far
TertraMin Tropical Tablets ~ Didn't like before but liking it after I ran out of wafers and had nothing else to give.
TetraMin Tropical Crisps ~ given on occasions since crisps can decay water quality if left to melt.

I also bought Tetra ColorBites Tropical Granules and they don't seem to like this as much as the Sinking Wafers. I tried Sinking Carnivore Pellets (Hikari) also and they don't like it. I also have Algae Wafers (Hikari) and don't know yet if they like it or not since I just bought it today. I tried Shrimp Pellets (Wardley) and can say it is messy if they don't eat it up right away. I have on occasions given them frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. It has been a long while since I dropped some carrots in there too.

Should I be feeding them more veges? Anything else in particular I should give them or not give them?

My crayfish are so used to me feeding them that they will raise their claw near the surface if I walk up in hopes food will be dropped right to them. They are so lazy like that, but I think it is cute.

The reason for all the types of fish food is that I wanted them to have variety (plus the fact I get employee discount and a lot of it was on sale) and to see what they liked best. I don't really have any other fish right now other than some feeder guppies in their tank and 1 honey gourami that was given to me. These crays are spoiled little brats.

I plan to get some dwarf cajun crayfish. Would the diet I give my current crayfish be suitable for the dwarfs or is there something different I feed them more or less of? What about for the florida blue crayfish?

I really like my crayfish. :D
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Honestly its not that critical. I usually go for a 50/50 split of low fat protein & frozen veggies.

You have to remember in nature they are scavangers & will eat whatever they can get so if you give them a varried diet they will do great IMO.