Deworming

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Waldo
Egg
Egg

Deworming

Post by Waldo »

Whats a good way of getting rid of any worms or leeches on shell fish?
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Are you talking about the little white worms that attach to the shell of crays & other such things?? If so they are not harming anything but if you want to take them off I usually scrape them off with a finger nail or tooth brush. You could also do a 3 minute formalin bath.
Waldo
Egg
Egg

Post by Waldo »

My main worry is that they being wild are going to have something on them. I treat all of my fish wether they need it or not in acriflavin. Wanted to do some wild shrimp and craw's just wanted to hear from experst the best way. I've heard leeches are common and that salt would kill them like a slug.
BM
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by BM »

I use to catch tons of wild crays, and just leave them in a bucket of tap water. All those white worms would die and fall off. If I just put the crawfish straight into a tank with already cycled, de-chorinated water, the worms would mutiply under the crawfish like crazy.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Looks like it was the chlorine that killed the worms! Thanks for the tips.
Waldo
Egg
Egg

Post by Waldo »

thats what I'm thinking. We don't have chlorine in our water. I'm going to get a livebearer be gone and see how it works. I'll do the experiment and let everyone know how it goes.