Breeding Caridina gracilirostris "Red Nose"

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Breeding Caridina gracilirostris "Red Nose"

Post by Jackie »

I have five of them - already 2 females dropped their eggs :(
I know it's possible I have no males in my tank, so I'm considering getting a few more of them - BTW I've still haven't found out how to tell the females from the males. Mustafa once said something about the males being more intense in color, but it's really hard to see all the shrimp at once in a planted tank :wink:

But the real problem I have is getting any info of breeding this shrimp. I found some info that they need brackish water, but on another site there is no mentioning of brackish water, so I'm rather confused...
I have these shrimp from a friend that bought them straight from Chris Lukhaup - it seems Chris doesn't have any problems breeding Caridina gracilirostris. Do I have to ask Chris or is there someone here who can provide me with some information? :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They do need brackish water. Chris does not breed them. Trust me on that one. He is friends with a wholesaler, who imports them from India. Their breeding should be identical to breeding Caridina japnica. If I found out otherwise, I will let you know.

Oh yeah...males are smaller, thinner and they don't have that saddle of eggs on their necks (ovaries). Since these shrimp are see-through those eggs should be visible quite easily.

Mustafa
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Petshrimp.com wrote:They do need brackish water. Chris does not breed them. Trust me on that one. He is friends with a wholesaler, who imports them from India. Their breeding should be identical to breeding Caridina japnica. If I found out otherwise, I will let you know.
Thanks Mustafa!

I'm sad - I don't know anyone in Poland that has had success in breeding Caridina japonica, so it looks like I've nobody to help me in this matter :(
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

I'm sad - I don't know anyone in Poland that has had success in breeding Caridina japonica, so it looks like I've nobody to help me in this matter
Try this site, Jackie: http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

Amanda
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Acsuth wrote:Try this site, Jackie: http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm
Thanks!
The only problem is - everybody I ask knows how to breed them, but nobody has actualy done it :wink:
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

well, the author of that site has successfully bred them with photo proof and step by step instructions :P That's good enough for me! I can't wait to try it out myself...hmm...now I need some Amanos...