Amano shrimps going crazy!!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Amano shrimps going crazy!!!

Post by zacasonapan »

Hello everyone,

All of my amanos seem to be going crazy! They are swimming around and crawling up and down very fast. It seems like they are playing tag cause they keep chasing each other off. I have 20+ amanos in my 125g tank. At first I thought that there might be something wrong with my water but the rest of my other shrimps ( Cherries, Crystals, Tigers, Rainbows and Bumble bees) seem to be going about their business as normal. Could it have something to do with some of my larger amano females carrying eggs? Are the smaller male amanos going into a mating frenzy? Or could it be that there is a lack of algae in my tank? When I feed I make sure everyone gets enough to eat. My temp is at 76, no ammonia and my nitrates are between 10-20 ppms, I would say around 15 ppms but my plant use that up. I noticed the amano frenzy around 9pm and it has been going on till now “12 midnight”.

My amanos are usually calm except during meal times. And that exactly how they are acting, as if they are being feed. :?

Pete
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I only observed that frenzied swimming when something was wrong with them....i.e. not enough food or water change was due. Others have reported, that males do that around mating time. The real reason is up in the air.

Mustafa