Blue Lobster/Crayfish Question

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

cj2379
Egg
Egg

Blue Lobster/Crayfish Question

Post by cj2379 »

I have had my blue lobster/crayfish for 1 year. He lives in a 20gal tank. The filter system is an Eclipse. The tank contains a variety of freshwater, community fish and 3 recently purchased bamboo shrimp. He has taken up lots of his time digging around under the large decorative log I have in the tank and has made himself quite a home! :) He seems to be pretty placid as my Chinese algae eater and clown loach have moved in with him. He pretty much allows the algae eater to push him around.

Anyway....he's been doing really well and has molted many times. He's pretty big now! He's only ever grabbed one of his tanks mates to eat as a snack and that was when I first purchased him. I've been feeding him TetraMin Variety Wafters. He really seems to like them and he always rushes out to grab his share at feeding time. I was just curious if I should be feeding him anything else? Like I said he's being doing just fine, but I'm still curious if I should be offering him other food stuffs every now and then. Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS!
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Sounds like you are doing great. Crayfish will do well on many foods. Variety is the key though.

Shrimp pellets, fresh veggies, protein flake.
cj2379
Egg
Egg

Thanks

Post by cj2379 »

Thanks. I'm definately considering giving my little blue friend some veggies. Interested to see what he'll do with something like that. :)
NetsuaiAngel
Egg
Egg

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

They'll also eat zucchini too btw.

I've already posted a reply on your topic in the shrimp forum section.

- Angela
cj2379
Egg
Egg

will give some new foods a try

Post by cj2379 »

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll certainly be trying out some new foods and I'm especially interested in seeing if my guy will eat zucchini! :D
cj2379
Egg
Egg

veggie for my crayfish/lobster

Post by cj2379 »

I tried some cucumber! I figured the inside would fall apart so I gave my crayfish a piece of peel. I stuck it by his hiding spot and he appears to have eaten it. Zucchini was recommended but I didn't have any so this was my next best choice. Any thoughts on giving my crayfish/lobster carrots or some potato? I want to make sure I'm not going to give him something he shouldn't have! Thanks a lot! :)
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Potatoe & Peas are great. They don't seem to like Carrots much. Just be carefull with the potatoes don't put too much in or it can pollute the water with starch.
cj2379
Egg
Egg

veggies

Post by cj2379 »

Peas...I don't think peas would have come to my mind so thanks for the advice. Are frozen peas ok or should they be fresh ones?

I'll make sure to be careful with the potatos.

Thanks! :D
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Frozen peas work great. Thats all I use.
NetsuaiAngel
Egg
Egg

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I've seen some aquarists put fruint in their tank, like seedless watermelon and oranges.

Romaine lettuce or spinach (have to anchor these to the bottom).

Never tried it myself, but just an observation. Could give it a try, but remember: Everything in moderation.

Have fun experimenting :)

- Angela
WetPets
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by WetPets »

Fruit in a tank ? I would think the citric acid would be bad for your water... Also, smash a pea, crayfish love that :D
mibbyblues
Egg
Egg

Post by mibbyblues »

most crays will eat most degenerative matter on the bottom.
But i agree about the peas