Moderator: Mustafa

Joey
Egg
Egg

My Updates

Post by Joey »

Well, could you guys help me as I go along? :-D

General
I have a 10 (U.S.) Gallon Tank, well lighted and well filtered, with 1 inch of gravel, a stump most crays could fit in, and a slanted log most crays could fit in.

Current
1 1' goldfish (feeder), 1 cray (Procambarus Clarkii) 1 1/2-2', 1 African Dwarf Frog

Due to her tail burn, I took out the filter cartridge after putting in some Tank Buddies Fungus Clear to protect her from any secondary infections. She moulted and ate most of her shell, and is spending a lot of time in her log.

Summary
Can anyone help me with the tail burn? I've got her protected and possibly healing with the Tank Buddies, but I don't know if it's going to work. It's been in there about 3 days and the water has been yellow-greenish (from the tank buddies, of course. The water turned green when my mom put one in for her goldfish in her 5 gallon tank, so I'm SURE that's the cause).

I don't know the pH, but am sure it's between 6.8 and 7.2. I know anything below 7 is bad, and I'm working on buying a test kit and some pH Up.

Other parameters are unknown.

Many, many thanks to anyone who helps me along. :-D
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

If your crayfish has Shell rot you should remove the shell after the molt to prevent reinfection. It can't be cured once started but can be slowed down until the next molt with melafix.
Joey
Egg
Egg

Post by Joey »

Yeah, King (my friends cray) is currently quarantined and being treated with Melafix.

Is burned tail similar? If so, I'll start dosing right away.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Its the same thing just a different name.
Joey
Egg
Egg

Post by Joey »

:shock: Oh crap... I'm gonna need some more Melafix... I'll make sure I get some Friday. :-D

Thank you so much. I never would have guessed it to be Shell Rot... I sure hope she moults soon.

But can you explain why it wasn't cured after the last moult? It was still there right after she moulted! Will it take a few moults, or does it need to heal up after a moult? I made sure I dosed Melafix several days before her last moult, which was nearly a month ago... I'll be sure to take precaution either way.

EDIT: Dosed.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

The melafix will make it get better with every moult. What happens if the SHell rot gets bad is it will actually create a hole in the shell causing damage to the flesh underneath. After the moult you will still see the damage underneath. If you treat with Melafix (ALL THE TIME) it will slow the progression of the infection & each moult will get better. Just make sure to remove the old shell as soon as possible.
Joey
Egg
Egg

Post by Joey »

Well, they're both adults, so it'd take a long time to fully cure it all... :?

Alright, well anyway, I started treatment and will continue it. :)
mibbyblues
Egg
Egg

Post by mibbyblues »

actually shell rot and tail burn (or blister tail )are two different things and should be treated different.
shell rot is like an indention or rotted out area of the shell .
Tail burn or blister tail actually looks like a blister and is found on the tail and tail area.