good snails ?

This forum is read-only.
MoltenLava
Egg
Egg

Post by MoltenLava »

I have a couple of questions about the snails, and I just decided to revive this old thread than starting a new one.

I have bought a couple of these snails from a local pet store, and I'm wondering if I chose a wrong kind.

They are a little larger than an inch in diameter, and looks brownish beige. The problem is, these snails have huge appetite. They seem to like the same type of food that my Cherry shrimps eat. They can swallow the entire fish flake with one bite! A piece of zucchini that previously lasted a week now lasts only 1/2 a day. They nibble on my plants! My Mynos have lost all the bottom branches. Sagittaria doesn't look that healthy either. And I think they also like to nibble on the Java moss.

When I bought them I was expecting them to clean up the tank with algae. But I don't think they find the algae that tasty. As you can see in the picture there are patches of green spots on the glass, but the snails just seem to ignore them.

Can anyone recognize the snail on the picture? Should I be getting MTS or Briggs instead?
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

The snail in the pic is a pomacea bridgesii aka a brig.

Nerites are the best algae busting snails you can buy....apple snails don't really touch it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Moved this topic to the "other invertebrates" forum since it's a better fit there.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Shrimp&Snails - looks like a Cana to me, especially if it is chomping plants.

MoltenLava- can you get a shot on the cone side?
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Pulling up an old thread for clarification,
badflash wrote:I think MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) are the best and they don't lay eggs. They also churn your gravel. I also keep pond snails and apple snails. They all work fine, but the apples need to be well fed or they will eat yourplants. I think they poop more than they clean up too. I feed them dandilion greens. They sure love them and so do the shrimp.
Everything I've ever read says that the MTS are great at churning sand, but Badflash says gravel in his post. Are they strong enough to dig through pea sized substrate?

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Ecir wrote:Pulling up an old thread for clarification,
Everything I've ever read says that the MTS are great at churning sand, but Badflash says gravel in his post. Are they strong enough to dig through pea sized substrate?

Ecir
Yes, they can flow through pea gravel just fine. Mine do. I use vigoro ppea gravel and have loads of MTS. Gone by daylight, out at night. I can see them move the gravel during the day.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Ok, good to know! Thanks Badflash

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

but the apples need to be well fed or they will eat your plants.
When I said that I had canas and they are plant eaters. Brigs are not plant eaters and can starve in a planted tank if not fed. None of my brigs nibble on any plants so far as I can tell, at least not live ones. The exception seems to be duckweed.