Floater plants in shrimp tanks

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Floater plants in shrimp tanks

Post by milalic »

Any advantages/disadvantages in using them in a shrimp tank? Do you recommend using them?

Thanks
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I have duckweed and Riccia in my shrimp tank. I swear the shrimp eat some of it, particularly the Riccia. There are always some feeding at the surface among the plants, occaisonally I see one folding onto a sinking duckweed plant, busily picking away at it. Duckweed is also a fast-growing plant, useful for removing nitrates from the water.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

ToddnBecka wrote:I have duckweed and Riccia in my shrimp tank. I swear the shrimp eat some of it, particularly the Riccia. There are always some feeding at the surface among the plants, occaisonally I see one folding onto a sinking duckweed plant, busily picking away at it.
Just because shrimp pick at something does not mean they are eating it. With plants, they just pick edibles from the surface of the plant...trust me.

As for pedro's question about floating plants...they mostly fall in the category of fast growing plants and hence come with the similar disadvantages as other fast growing plants. The disadvantages were detailed in various other threads very recently.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I haven't seen the threads discussing the disadvantages of fast-growing plants. Duckweed can cover the surface of a tank fairly quickly, blocking the light for other plants. However, it is easily removed with a net if it needs thinned out.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Here is a link to the thread mentioned above :wink: :

viewtopic.php?t=1862&highlight=
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I no longer use riccia in my hard water shrimp tanks. I do have a small amount of wolffia, which is the smallest duckweed. This is for the brigs snails I keep with them. The snails keep this plant under control so it does not block the light. Duckweeds and Riccia need agressive control or they choke the surface and deprive the rest of the tank of nutrients.

I find that java moss and java fern are the best.
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

One thing to watch out for if you have floating plants is that baby shrimp sometimes hang onto the bottom of them, so when you scoop out excess duckweed, you also scoop out some baby shrimp.

I had a duckweed "infestation" in some of my community tanks, and had to scoop the duckweed into a container with an inch of water in the bottom. When I had finished collecting duckweed, I would remove the duckweed from the container by hand, then remove all the baby shrimp from the container. Sure is a fun way to spend the weekend :roll:

I quite like salvinia as a floating plant, as it's easier to control than duckweed.

I haven't noticed that the shrimp particularly like floating plants, though. I think in my community tanks they like it because little bits of flake get stuck in it.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

When I started my tank I was thinking about using duckweed, now I sure am happy I did not :-D It seems to infest the tank and become a battle to maintain :( .
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Neonshrimp wrote:When I started my tank I was thinking about using duckweed, now I sure am happy I did not :-D It seems to infest the tank and become a battle to maintain :( .
If you keep some apple snails, they keep it under control. Get the Brigs, not the Canas as Brigs are selective and don't eat plants with hard fibers, but they do love duckweed. Canas eat everything.
eklikewhoa
Egg
Egg

Post by eklikewhoa »

i have riccia in my tank and the shrimp play in it all day, its funny to see them catch a single strand of riccia and it sinks. the shrimp try to crawl up the riccia thinking they will get to the top but its all sinking together.

:lol:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The problem with Riccia in a shrimp tank is that it out competes just about everything else and you don't get a proper growth of other bio organisms. It also blocks off light to the bottom of the tank. If you keep it, be sure to remove some every week so that light can get to the bottom of the tank.

I grow riccia in several of my non-shrimp tank and love it. It also works super in tanks with Amano shrimp, but cherries seem a lot more particular.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

badflash, thank you for the tip about the snails.

Regarding Riccia, I hear that it is very messy and hard to work with. Do you have a particular way of dealing with it?
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

Pellia (or whatever it's supposed to be called) is nice in a shrimp tank, and less of a pain than riccia. It's not the same lime green, but the shrimp seem to enjoy it, and it's less demanding on light than riccia.

Najas guadalupensis is nice, and shrimp love it, but it looks messy and grows really fast.
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

I have a bit of moneywort floating on top of my water. I couldn't get the stuff to stay in the gravel so I just let it float and it's doing well.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Neonshrimp wrote: Regarding Riccia, I hear that it is very messy and hard to work with. Do you have a particular way of dealing with it?
It is easy to work with. You just need to keep it from getting caught in downward flow. If you have an HOB filter put a gaurd all around the outflow to keep the riccia from floating into it. I cut the gaurds from sections of 1 gallon plastic milk jugs.

If you use a powerhead that discharges below the level the riccia floats at, there are no problems at all. Riccia is the best plant I know of for hiding fry from hungy fish.