Dragon fly larvae?

This forum is read-only.
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

Okay some people will probably hate me for this but I feel a need to post my opinion
I think all life deserves respect, down to the smallest possible insect.

The simple fact is that all life dies. How and when are the only variables. That one mosquito/dragonfly larvae/etc. makes little difference. They are a predatory species. They can reek havoc on your little aquarium/pond/house/etc. They may carry diseases. If you let it go it will breed. These may reinfect whatever ecosystem you don't want them in. These are far from endangered. If they weren't I'd say keep them alive if possible. but they are not. I realize this will make me some enemies/people who dislike me but you should kill them. I hold this aspect for most types of life. up to the "highest" life form, humans. We are a species that ruins environments and have overpopulated earth. Survival of the fittest baby. you are fitter and it is not endangered so smash the little buggers.

Just my two cents.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Everything in it's palce. I don't go gunning for much of anything, but I have no problem pulling weeds from my garden, or killing things that threaten what I work hard to keep alive.

Anyone alive kills something to stay that way. You just have to decide for yourself where you draw the line. Some stop at plants, some stop higher up the food chain.

Heck, they're your critters, so do what you want with them. I just can't see feeding expensive shrimp to a bug.

I just nuked 3 tanks last weekend to kill a bunch of planaria and didn't loose any sleep over it. Of course the bad karma caused me to throw my back out... :oops:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I just nuked 3 tanks last weekend to kill a bunch of planaria and didn't loose any sleep over it. Of course the bad karma caused me to throw my back out... :oops:
That's not karma, that's age. I think I am feeling it too :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Guys, take it easy. Nobody said to keep the larvae around so they can dine on your shrimp. How hard is it to just throw these NATIVE species into some natural body of water? No, they won't cause havoc as they are actually prey species first and foremost (fish love to eat them) and their native habitats are used to having them around.

Killing does not resolve anything, so advocating killing to solve problems, including humans :!: , as pea-brain suggested, does not resolve anything, in addition to being highly unethical. It seems that ethics and compassion are not fashionable nowadays.... That's a very closed-minded, backward way of thinking if you ask me.

Anyway...we're getting way too offtopic here from the real topic of this thread.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Mustafa wrote:Guys, take it easy. Nobody said to keep the larvae around so they can dine on your shrimp. How hard is it to just throw these NATIVE species into some natural body of water?
This started off off topic, so why not have some fun with it? :lol: Not to go nutz on this, but we need to look at the big picture. Loads of these critters are naturarlized and not native at all.

If you can walk to the pond and feed the fish with them, great. If you need to fire up the jeep and drive a few miles, the environmental impact is hardly worth it. I love the environment, but I'm no Ghandi. If you squish them and they become snail food or if you hike to the pond and they become fish food, it is all the same. If you put them in a hefty bag and they go to the landfill, I'll vote for firing up the jeep. My wife has a name for bugs she finds in the house. FLAT. Lately she gives me the right to first refusal in case the M. Rosenbergii might like them. She no longer eats shrimp, something I'm ashamed to say I can't say... :oops: Actually I'm pretty comfortable with my position on the food chain. :D

Any idea how many spiders the average person eats in their sleep? Someone actually studied that.

I've tried hard to stay on topic here. This is after all "other invertibrate" chat :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Any idea how many spiders the average person eats in their sleep? Someone actually studied that.
I hope it is less than one. What a funny thing to have to study :P
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I think it was something like 3-5 spiders per year...eek...

Hehe, yeah this did get pretty off topic. Sorry! :oops:

I would post my remaining thoughts on this topic, but I don't want this to turn into an even bigger debate...I'll just say that for me, a life is a life. No matter how small, large, or important.

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
iturnrocks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by iturnrocks »

I believe someone put forth the idea that its better to feed an unwanted animal to another than to just kill it. If you squish something and toss it outside, you will be feeding other animals- such as any scavenger that eats dead stuff. You would have to incinerate it or bag it up really good to keep something from eating it.
WetPets
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by WetPets »

wow lol this topic is alll over the place lol
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

I believe it is 8 spiders in a lifetime. Heard that along time ago. And back to the subject it looks like a dragonfly larva to me.

Jason
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

FISH WORLD ERIE wrote:And back to the subject it looks like a dragonfly larva to me.
Thats what I thought too, from pictures I saw after googling "Dragonfly Larvae".

Thanks.

-John