Mystery shrimp....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MacTech
Egg
Egg

Mystery shrimp....

Post by MacTech »

Got this girl as a freebie from one of my LFS's...

when i got her, she was carrying eggs, looks like they've been released into the tank, but i have yet to see any babies, so this shrimp probably needs brackish to breed, whatever it is...

so, what is it?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's a........shrimp! :-D Seriously, it's tough to tell without looking at the shrimp in person (and maybe at some dead shrimp or shed skin). This shrimp could be a Neocaridina denticulata of some sort (very variable) or one of the Indian shrimp varieties that are also very variable in coloration.

How large were the eggs...were there several hundred tiny ones or maybe around 30-40 larger ones? She either dropped her eggs or the young hatched and are either floating around or crawling around in your tank are are too tiny for you to see.

Mustafa
MacTech
Egg
Egg

Post by MacTech »

the eggs were tiny and dark brown, her coloration is a deep brown, i know she's not an Amano, that's for sure, the LFS said she was a "wood" shrimp, but i see no evidence of filter fans, looks like she has the same feeding leg setup as Amano and Cherry shrimp, she's about 1.5" long and i'd assume since she was carrying eggs, she was fully grown.

another possibility for the hatchlings is that they were eaten, i do have a Vampire shrimp in the tank
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

MacTech, she looks a lot like my "mystery shrimp". There are a couple pics of pregnant ones on this page. Did the eggs look like this?

(scroll down to see the pics)
MacTech
Egg
Egg

Post by MacTech »

yes, the second and third pictures look identical to my mystery shrimp
Urkevitz
Egg
Egg

Post by Urkevitz »

I just picked up some similar shrimp at my LFS they were being sold in the tank with amanos. I bought 5 of them I think I have males and females.