Asian Bog Biotope Questions (has to do with shrimp)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

randomrambler!
Egg
Egg

Asian Bog Biotope Questions (has to do with shrimp)

Post by randomrambler! »

hello (this is my first post here :) ), my little brother has a 10 gallon tank which I take care of for him. right now it is an unplanted community tank, and he wants to breed cherry shrimp. He will give away most of his fish, except for 3 sparkling gourami and a honey gourami. I will buy him some black sand (so he can see the babies easier), and buy him a few plants too. can anyone give some tips on how to breed cherries and good plants to use? also do you think the gouramies will be fine? they all are about 1 inch to 1.5 inches and have little teeny mouths which i doubt could fit even a part of a cherry shrimp. oh yeah, how many should he start with? he was originally planning on 4 and a trio of rainbow shrimp.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

The gouramis should be fine.

Starting with only 4 Red Cherries may be too few. There is a good chance that you will end up with all females.
Last edited by Bradimus on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomrambler!
Egg
Egg

Post by randomrambler! »

ok so how many would you recommmend? and what water conditions should it be to imitate the natural environment? thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

To make sure you have males and females you should get about 10. This species lives in a wide variety of water conditions. Just make sure the PH is not too low, around 7 or a little higher should be fine.

You won't be breeding these guys with the gouramis around, though, since the hatchlings will be quick snacks for the fish.

Mustafa