raising mixed amano hatches, likelihood of cannibalism?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

raising mixed amano hatches, likelihood of cannibalism?

Post by carbon etc »

I have a couple hundred new amano zoes going into saltwater momentarily. In a few weeks I expect to have at least that many more hatching. At that point their difference in size will be pretty pronounced. I'm wondering if anyone has tried mixing hatches before. Is cannibalism a significant danger here?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I have mixed them and saw no cannabalism. My barrier was the final molt. The issue with mixed sizes is getting the shrimp out once they are shrimp. If you do batches, you can do it on one shot. Mix them and it is lots of work.
zax
Egg
Egg

Post by zax »

I have not witnessed any canabalism at any stage either even after they have morphed into adults. If you are going to mix the spawns then keep a track of their expected date of metamorphasis (25 days onwards for me) so that you can start catching the adults. Let us know how you get on.
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

Out of 100+ zoes it looks like I'm going to get about 5 post-larvae.

I think I need to refine my methods a little. :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Don't forget you did get some success from this batch :) Thanks for sharing and hope you improve on your methods :D
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

carbon etc wrote:Out of 100+ zoes it looks like I'm going to get about 5 post-larvae.

I think I need to refine my methods a little. :)
That's 5 more than anyone was getting just a few years ago. Congrats, and congrats on future, larger batches.
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

My "failing" was probably that I didn't do any water changes. I did scatter some zeolite in the bottom of the tank to act as both surface area for bacteria and possible ammonia removal (no idea if it actually does that or if it's just snake oil).

I've gotten mixed messages on whether water changes should be done or not.

For the next batch I'll do water changes and see if it improves my numbers.