Aquaclear amonia remover insert...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Hammerjoe
<b>BANNED</b>

Aquaclear amonia remover insert...

Post by Hammerjoe »

Hi,

I have a shrimp community tank, and I've almost lost all the ghost shrimp that I have.

I have other species in there as well with the ocasionally death.

Today at the my lfs they were selling half price those amonia remover insert.

[Admin: Commercial link removed and replaced by picture. Please read the rules and do not post commercial links in the future.]

Now before I put one of these in the filter, is this a good idea for a shrimp tank to keep amonia levels down just in case?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It is always good to keep the amonia levels down :-) The ghost shrimp deaths are most likely due to the stress and poor treatment they received before you got them :x . They are treated so because the suppliers and the store owner look at them as feeders and bulk items istead of the interesting living beings they are :o
Hammerjoe
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Hammerjoe »

Hmmm is there an echo in here? :lol:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I almost forgot to welcome you by the way. That is because we have spoken before elsewhere :-D Well, hope you get a chance to look around and read whatever you find interesting. This is a great site to learn and share the latest information in the hobby. Well, Welcome and hope you have fun :D
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

You should probably research tank cycling to better understand the biological processing of ammonia. Products like that are a questionable and ultimately unnecessary fix.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I'm with carbon: there is no chemical additive that will ever resolve water chemistry problems better than a standard routine of water changes.

Using stuff like this bypasses the natural biological nitrogen cycle and does not lead down a path towards a stable easy to maintain tank.
wee-one
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by wee-one »

dont waste money with ammonia insert. they leak ammonia back in tank
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I use Zeo-Carb witch is a mixture of carbon and ammonia remover.
I have used this for many years with no problems.

TKD
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Carbon and Yucca are right...you do not need any ammonia removing products....your bacteria already do the job provided your tank is cycled. And if it's not cycled, then there should not be any shrimp in there anyway. These products are totally unnecessary and just mislead beginners.
Hammerjoe
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Hammerjoe »

The tank is cycled.

I thought of adding it to the filter to prevent any amonia spikes.
klkelly
Egg
Egg

insert

Post by klkelly »

I bought one of these once for a 40G tank and it caused ammonia to jump!!!! I'll never risk it on another tank let alone ones with delicate and sensitive shrimp.

I would think Prime would be safe for once in a while use if you monitor the tank for ammonia.

I also have those seachem ammonia alert cards on my tanks. I used it while fishless cycling with chemical ammonia and they seemed very accurate. I just would hope I would catch a spike before it got high enough for the card to read it.

I have zero experience with shrimp though ;-)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi klkelly,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Have you decided to get those amanos yet :-D ? Well let us know when you have become a shrimper and keep in touch :wink: