Cherries in an unfiltered tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I'm also a UK-er....nice to see you aboard.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Shrimp&Snails wrote:I'm also a UK-er....nice to see you aboard.
Sorry I hadn't noticed you were also from the U.K. :lol:
T
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by T »

Hi thanks for the welcome.

I wont be keeping any fish in there just the shrimps.I set the tank up tonight with the mangroves and a handfull of java moss and i'll put in my lucky bamboo and the c02 thingy tomorrow.Is there absolutely no way of leaving it unfiltered if the plant growth is really good and I only have maybe a half dozen shrimps?(I know the answer but I just thought I would ask again :-D ).

Heres the ebay link for the blue shrimps, I only wanted cherries but the guy messed me about and sent me 4 blues as compensation.

[link to commercial website deleted]

Oh and no my GF is not a member of the snail forum(dont think so anyway).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"T", posting commercial links is not allowed here. Please, go read the rules int he rules section of this forum before you make any further posts. This is an official warning and further rule breaks will not be tolerated.
T
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by T »

Ooops sorry :oops:

Anyhoo it looks like its Neocaridina sp.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Is there absolutely no way of leaving it unfiltered if the plant growth is really good and I only have maybe a half dozen shrimps?(I know the answer but I just thought I would ask again :-D ).
Hi T, although it is not recommended you can keep a tank without a filter if you do more frequent and thorough water change/cleaning! The use of a filter is always best :-)
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

I belong to a plant forum and I know there is a "El natural" method where a tank is heavily planted with no filtration. It is possible, but not too many people do it. Unfortunately, shrimps will not produce enough waste in order to plants to thrive off of the decaying waste. Plus, it's a delicate balance, which mother nature is a pro at.

Would I do it? No. If not done incorrectly would cause harm to shrimp or fish.
Last edited by crazie.eddie on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by T »

Ok well I put in the little fluval to clear the water a little so it might just end up staying in there.The substrate had previously been used with apple snails and was a bit stinky.I stuffed some filter floss in the bottom so should I get any baby shrimp they should be safe from getting sucked in.I was surprised to spot a half dozen little baby apple snails this norning even after I had rinsed the gravel in warm tap water to clear the gunk out last night.So will keeping the blue and cherry shrimps together cause any problems?(im clueless when it comes to inverts, cichilds and pl*cos are what I know....[Admin: sentence offering fish deleted]).
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

Hi T

I'm just writing this to help you.
You really should read the forum rules as Mutafa writes to you.
They can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=1615
carbon etc
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by carbon etc »

This thread will probably be toast soon, but I thought I'd mention that though filtration might not be absolutely necessary in a planted tank, water movement is still important. The organisms that are working for you, including the plants, need their food brought to them after all. Unfiltered may seem more "natural", but in nature still water is called "stagnant" for a reason.

You also don't have enough plants for the tank to classify as "planted", really.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"T2" and his post deleted (he broke a few more rules in his post). This thread will be closed. Some people just can't learn....This guy keeps trying to join the forum despite being banned for good reason and AFTER writing emails to me using obscene language. It's like someone coming to your house, pees all over the place..you throw him out and he keeps trying to break in to pee some more. Some people are like a pest...

Anyway...thread closed.