Newbie - questions - substrate/potted plants/PH

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

klkelly
Egg
Egg

Tests

Post by klkelly »

I'm using the AP drop kit tests. I've dropped many hints about a PH meter for christmas and I'm actually researching them right now. I was looking at the pens and many don't seem as accurate as I had hoped they'd be - within .2. I appreciate the recommendation and I'll look this one up today :D

I'm also looking into options for reverse osmosis - I only need a small amount of water so I might be able to get away with a cheaper unit. More convenient than carting jugs.

Thanks guys :)

Karrie
klkelly
Egg
Egg

Cycle

Post by klkelly »

I added some Tahitian Moon Sand last weekend it looks neat.

I'm still not sure if I've crashed the cycle in this tank so we'll see. I haven't seen a sign of NitrAtes in five days. So either the plants are doing their job or I am starting the cycle all over again! I had just added ten small variety of rainbowfish - the Pseudomugil signifer when I realized there was a problem. All are still looking great so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (Ammonia isn't spiking so I'm not sure). I added extra cycled media and hope that helps.

I also didn't realize shrimp other than the amano would be possible in this tank. I hear Amano are great shrimp to start off with so I'll probably continue with them once I'm sure the tank is 100% - I hate waiting!!!.

I also wish there was more interest up here and that I could see some of the ones from this site in stores - just to see them :)

Off to search the forum on cherry shrimp posts :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Cycle

Post by Neonshrimp »

I also didn't realize shrimp other than the amano would be possible in this tank. I hear Amano are great shrimp to start off with so I'll probably continue with them once I'm sure the tank is 100% - I hate waiting!!!.
Actually Amano shrimp are a great shrimp to keep any time :D ! They are pretty active and have interesting behaviors in my ecperience. The major drawback is the difficulty in raising the hatched young to adulthood as they require salt water and gradual readjustment to fresh water.
I also wish there was more interest up here and that I could see some of the ones from this site in stores - just to see them :)

Off to search the forum on cherry shrimp posts :)
Well it's a good thing you can reach us through this forum because there is usually someone who is always on line waiting to talk to other member :-) Have fun searching and reading about cherry shrimp :wink:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

One of the good things about Amanos, besides their constant activity, is that they get quite large for a shrimp, and they live a long time. They are a great starter shrimp, and usually in good supply and inexpensive.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The bad thing about Amanos is that they still all wild-caught. Hence I would only recommend buying them if you are willing to give it a shot at breeding them. Buying any wild-caught animals as just pets for entertainment is detrimental to the hobby in the long run, as wild populations will get destroyed sooner or later. That's why I would recommend captive bred shrimp, like red cherry shrimp, as first shrimp. We don't want to promote destructive habits in this forum after all.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

But, anyone who has these for any length of time will want to breed them. I think most of the people here that have them are giving it a shot.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote: I think most of the people here that have them are giving it a shot.
Let's hope so.
klkelly
Egg
Egg

Amanos

Post by klkelly »

I would try and breed them in a heart beat. I've read many posts about peoples experiences on this forum. I could plan for everything before I get them.

I'm going to the monthly meeting of the local aquarium society tonight and I'll ask around and see if anyone breeds them. From the local aquarium society forum - the talk really is all about cichlids/africans - it's not often that anyone mentions shrimp. Its a big membership. The first meeting I attended was last month and there was over 100 people there.

The only concern I have is if I am successful - I read on a few posts that the populations in a tank are self limiting. Is this the case with Amano's? I'm not sure there is interest here locally in shrimp but I could be wrong. If I am very successful what would I do with the little ones? :) I could convince DH to set up more tanks I'm sure :)

If it's more responsible to go with Cherry Shrimp I would be up for that also now that I know they would survive in the well water environment even though I plan on supplementing it with RO water to keep a consistently lower PH. I'm thinking around 7.8 right now.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

It would be a miracle if anyone there knew how to breed amanos. The people here are your best resource. We have at least one member that has succeded and several of us that have come close.

If you should be fortunate and succeed in a big way I'm sure we can help you find homes for them. Mustafa might even make an exception in a case like that and allow them to be offered to members :-D . Who wouldn't want a tank bred amano?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Amanos

Post by Neonshrimp »

I'm going to the monthly meeting of the local aquarium society tonight and I'll ask around and see if anyone breeds them.
klkelly, that would be a great way to get started with organizing more shrimp hobbyist and even getting more people interested :!: All of the members should contribute if we want to help Mustafa with his plans for a society in the near future :D
klkelly
Egg
Egg

Amanos

Post by klkelly »

Thats a no go for Amano breeders at the meeting :? . Some members do cherry shrimp and there were some at the mini-auction tonight. They were sooo tiny!

I've found that being in Canada really sucks sometimes - I wish it was easier to ship up here :(
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear about your disappointment klkelly :( . This is still a young hobby and I am hopeful that it will have a far reaching spread in the near future :-D Until them just keep doing your own thing and share with us as we share with you :-)
klkelly
Egg
Egg

Tank

Post by klkelly »

It will be a while longer before I get shrimp :( Found a dead signifer this morning and have realized now I have a faulty filter - it wasn't even running. I have a nylon over the intake and it's very clear never clogged. This is the second time it's quit. DH got it working again the first time. I took it apart and the impeller is moving and clean no dirt in the filter at all. I'm wondering if the moon sand somehow is a factor.

I've stolen cycled media from my other tank and put on a AC20. I hope its enough to keep the tank and fish happy.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

AC20 shold be fine for a 20gal tank. What will you be keeping in the tank for now? Please keep us updated.